Looking Some Advice pls
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking Some Advice pls within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone, im new here and was hoping to get some help. I have a 2004 subaru wrx sti thats ...

Looking Some Advice pls

Hi everyone, im new here and was hoping to get some help. I have a 2004 subaru wrx sti thats been making clunking noises when i turn corners which gets worse when full lock is on, also when im driving it tends to pull to one side then to other and feels quite shaky to drive at times. I seen a mechanic who told me i needed a new front drive shaft, he is not sure which side! This alone is going to cost me 300.. I looked on eBay and found a brand new drive shaft for a 2008 sti for a fraction of the price... Now im left unsure if a 2008 drive shaft with fit onto a 2004 sti? Many thanks in advance if anyone can help me on this one..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you hit a curb or a large pot hole ever? To me it sounds like a wheel bearing might have busted. Does it do it when you turn in both dirrections or just one? is it louder in either dirrection?

I had a car that i ran a curb over one time and when i turned left and the weight shifted to the right it would make a wierd vibrating noise... it ended up being the bearings on the right fron wheel.

Did the mechanic put your car on a lift or pull the wheels off and take a look? He might be pulling your leg knowing you might just need 1 $10 bearing.

You should be able to check this out your self by pulling off both front wheels pulling the brake calipers off taking the cap off the brake rotors removing the pin that holds the bolt on the spindel (most cars have this set up not sure about yours). Unscrew the bolts take your bearing out clean them with some brake cleaner and inspect them. make sure when you put them back in you pack the with some high temp grease. By nspecting this your self you will only be out 4-5 bucks for the grease.

Here is a post you can check out about pulling rotors.

Brake Rotor Replacement

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Bearings are pressed in - not coming out to be serviced. Bearing service is $$

Check your differential fluid and search for threads describing differential issues - it sounds like that is a more likely explanation than a drive shaft.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.