Rough Idle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rough Idle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, I'll come clean. Before purchasing my WRX, I had never been in one. Like, ever. I bought mine at ...

Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar

Question Rough Idle

Okay, I'll come clean. Before purchasing my WRX, I had never been in one. Like, ever.

I bought mine at a used car lot, and no, I didn't have a mechanic go over it before I purchased because the mileage and price were unbeatable.

It ran a very rough idle on the test drive, and then the mechanic replaced a blown fuse due to a battery issue. It now runs better, but is still rough on the idle and in first. Is this typical, or do I need to get her over to a mechanic ASAP? That being said, I have given her some decent floggings, and she is responding well and without hesitation.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly, if there is no CEL, and performance is acceptable, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

As for the rough idle and first gear accelaration, I'd probably take a look at your spark plugs, and your fuel filter. When was the last time the basic maintenance was done on the vehicle? Any idea? If you're at or above 60k miles, you need to do both the spark plugs and fuel filter, among other things.

Best advice I can give you for car ownership is pay close attention to your maintenance schedule as set by the manufacturer.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Welcome... I lived in berkley for a like a year...

It sounds like a vacuum leak to me... check all your small rubber hoses everywhere...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I would guess the fuel as well...
    Possibly the spark plugs and rotor cap maybe?
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

I'm going to get it over to a mechanic (in berkley, coincidentally) this week for a review. I'm guessing that the previous owner did not do scheduled maintenance, so a once over isn't a bad idea, anyway. Some postings lead me to believe that a rough idle is not unheard of in this vehicle; on the other hand, better to be safe than sorry!

Let's hope it isn't anything significant! All my pennies are being saved for the cat less pipe, tune, exhaust!

Thanks for the thoughts. Spark plugs seem like a most obvious place to start.

How many miles are on it? Before saying it's the plugs that would be key to know.

You get what you pay for. If it was cheap, there may be a good reason.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You get what you pay for. If it was cheap, there may be a good reason.
    thats the truth indeed, but sometimes you get lucky :] i bought my 02 with 100k for 7000, its in wonderful condition in and out, and the engine runs smooth :]

i don't know high or rough idle usually means something is bad or about to go bad, Have it checked all over by someone you trust, have them check all the plugs and cables and the distributor :]

haha hope nothing is wrong with it :] these cars are amazing to drive :] if you have never had a AWD before its a blast :]

Thanks to the failing economy in Detroit, I had a bevy of cars to choose from in my price range! This WRX has 64k on it: I purchased her for 9.5k. She was purchased at an auction by the dealer, which means (prolly) some kid bought it and flogged the crap out of it before it got repo'd. Whatev's. With cars, I have learned, there are no guarantees!

That being said, I have been going through the paces with her over the weekend. Highway driving, a little zipping, and in town traffic. No oil in the driveway, just this rough idle. It'll be up on a lift next weekend. I am gonna do the spark plugs and basic 60k maintenance.

Perhaps a wee little tune will solve the issue! Thanks, all.

haha changing the plugs on these cars is SUCH A PAIN IN THE A#$!!! :[ make sure you get some really really good ones, something you wont have to change anytime soon. :]

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    do you have an aftermarket intake? Some AM intakes run lean at idle, thus poor idle
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yea, has this car been modded before you bought it? The previous owner may have put on some questionable parts, fantastic parts, a good tune, a bad tune, or no tune... I really don't know.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

No aftermarket intake. I have read that a rough idle can occur with that--so when I get to that point, I might do a K&N typhoon. Meanwhile, I read the thread on the sparks--gag me with a stick. That might be something I just pay someone to do. Because I am that *******.

yea having aftermarket parts especially a cold air intake might lean your car and make it idle rough. OEM intake is good trough 380HP.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz_the_Chick View Post
    Meanwhile, I read the thread on the sparks--gag me with a stick. That might be something I just pay someone to do. Because I am that *******.
    Naa it's not as bad as it seems. Spark plug install from start to finish will only take you less than an hour.

Now the uppipe install, which you will need to do sooner than later... that just scares me.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Naa it's not as bad as it seems. Spark plug install from start to finish will only take you less than an hour.
    Yeah, if you are a savant! IDK, we've got the adaptors. But if I screw it up, I'll never live it down. Meanwhile, that up pipe? Oh, hellz, no. That seems like a real sticky wicket. Hmmm. I should do that ASAP.

No CEL. Methinks new coil packs are in order. Any suggestions?

Thx for the encouragement, tho.
    Last edited by Fritz_the_Chick; 08-08-2010 at 09:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.