no coolant in overflow tank

This is a discussion on no coolant in overflow tank within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a coolant problem that's been puzzling me: I recently had my mechanic change my thermostat and radiator hoses. ...

no coolant in overflow tank

I have a coolant problem that's been puzzling me:
    I recently had my mechanic change my thermostat and radiator hoses. They also added more coolant since all of mine escaped through a damaged radiator hose.
    The other day, i checked my coolant level in the overflow tank and noticed that it was dry (i checked on a hot and cold engine, however, there was plenty of coolant when i opened up the radiator cap).
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what maybe causing the overflow tank to be dry? Should i check if there is a block in the system or a pocket of air? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Most likely causes are nothing, or an air pocket. If the car is not overheating assume it's nothing and top it up. If you have to do this repeatedly and it gets old then burp the system. Since a pro did the previous work assume at least for now it's been done correctly -- searching for a leak could yield a false positive since residue could be from the repair rather than a new active leak.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.