Lots of smoke, Rough idle

This is a discussion on Lots of smoke, Rough idle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am helping out a buddy and he has a big problem with his car. 2002 wrx 2.0 stock internals ...

Lots of smoke, Rough idle

I am helping out a buddy and he has a big problem with his car. 2002 wrx 2.0 stock internals and turbo but lots of other aftermarket goodies. He just got the car a couple weeks ago. The car runs it smokes very badly and has misfires on all 4 cylinders. I did a combustion gas test in the coolant and it passed that. The oil looks very clean as does the coolant. He told me he was driving it and had the boost on high which is around 20 and all of a sudden it started smoking and running real ****ty. Is there any way that the turbo seals could be leaking oil in the exhaust and the misfire is because the turbo is bad. It seems ok just off of idle but still smokes very badly, not driveable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is it tuned in anyway? Have you pulled the plugs? What goodies does he have? Was it running this way when he bought it? What are the codes??
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

Yes it was tuned. It ran good when he first got it and he can no longer drive it. I havent pulled the plugs yet but they wouldnt make it smoke like this. It had a p301, p302, p303,p304 which are all misfire codes on all cylinders. It has an exhaust, intake, header, intercooler, radiator, intercooler hoses, bov, turbo timer, a couple other things. I havent worked much on a modded subaru. I just wonder if a turbo seal could do something like this or if its internal engine (bearings, valve, cam, pistons, head gasket). There is some noise but most appears to be in the bell housing area. It has a lightweight flywheel, i was thinking noise could be flexplate flex from misfiring motor.

Maybe your timing belt tensioner has worked itself loose causing the belt to slip a bit. Or could be your coil packs. Does the CEL rotate from cylinder to cylinder, or does it give misfire codes for all four at the same time?
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html