'03 Feels like a dog down low and only hitting .07 bar
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '03 Feels like a dog down low and only hitting .07 bar within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I finally got my car back to a BPV and hooked up the stock BCS but my car is a ...

'03 Feels like a dog down low and only hitting .07 bar

I finally got my car back to a BPV and hooked up the stock BCS but my car is a dog in first... I have to give it a healthy amount of gas to get it going, and if i'm on too steep of a hill it is sometimes questionable. It feels like a back pressure problem.

I'm also only hitting .7 bar max boost. Thinking I might need to replace all the vac hoses to the stock size. Calling TopSpeed tomorrow to get a recommendation. The current hoses are of different IDs and there are multiple adapters. I do have the stock silencer and stock pill.

Anyhow. Any correlation between the two issues?
    Last edited by 03zWRX; 08-05-2010 at 08:07 AM.
    2003 WRX - 33k miles
    Purchased 06/25/2010 from original owner
    Reverting some useless mods back to stock and getting protuned by TopSpeed of Atlanta soon!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you tried datalogging? If you can or have post it up and we can help you figure out what's going on...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Don't have the cable or I would... I think its just in dire need of a tune. With the mods it has and no tune, I think its just going to run sub par until it is...

Still don't know why its only hitting 10 PSI...
    2003 WRX - 33k miles
    Reverting some useless mods back to stock and getting protuned by TopSpeed of Atlanta soon!

Quote Originally Posted by 03zWRX View Post
    Don't have the cable or I would... I think its just in dire need of a tune. With the mods it has and no tune, I think its just going to run sub par until it is...

Still don't know why its only hitting 10 PSI...
    You cant hit max boost (13psi stock) in 1st. Youll hit it in 3rd and 4th, Im not sure about 2nd. What all is aftermarket on it?
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    You cant hit max boost (13psi stock) in 1st. Youll hit it in 3rd and 4th, Im not sure about 2nd. What all is aftermarket on it?
    I'm aware of this. I was referring to two different apparent issues and wondering if they are somehow related. I find it odd that i'm only hitting 10 PSI - during 3rd and 4th gear pulls to test - and also that the subie feels so bogged down in first gear - basically low RPMs require excessive amounts of gas to get going. More throttle is needed to get going than it should. I think i'm losing a ton of power down low because the car needs to be tuned for the mods it has.

UP, DP, TBE, CAI - all aftermarket and no tune. The previous owner was more interested in bolt on performance apparently...
    2003 WRX - 33k miles

Doesn't sound like you've had this car long. I'd guess that this did have a tune of some sort (I'd like to hope so anyway) and they just reflashed the car to stock and sold the AP separately.

I could be totally wrong. Regardless, sounds like you need a tune like you said.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

Your A/F ratio is probably going crazy... what kind of CAI and does it have a bov or aftermarket boost gauge?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 03zWRX View Post
    I finally got my car back to a BPV and hooked up the stock BCS but my car is a dog in first...
    what bcs was on it previously?
    If you have everything under control you're going too slow.
    Bugeye Mafia #218 XPT gm bcs stage 2
    my mods
    HIGH MILEAGE CLUB
    ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECH.

Does it idle? Is it running rich? Is the bypass hose properly connected to the bpv? If nothing else maybe the wastegate arm mod?

To address most of your questions: It is an Injen CAI, which I asked TopSpeed about and they said it would be fine to tune around. I have the stock steering column boost gauge. The stock BPV is hooked up properly and snugly; I just did it last week. The previous owner did not have it tuned in any way - open source or AP. When I got it there were two boost control options: first was a Husky air pressure regulator which acted like a set it and forget it MBC, but I can only assume that since it was not designed for a car that it created turbulent air flow at the vary least and was not a great option for the car. Second was a Greddy ProfecB Spec 1 boost controller in the dash, but I removed it as well since it didn't work properly. Now the stock BCS is hooked up with a slightly larger (2.4mm) restrictor in the line that runs to the solenoid from the T connector.

The car idles fine most of the time. Every now and then it has a low erratic idle when I first crank it up. Also, I could tell it was running rich with the BOV but since switching to the BPV I don't think it is running as rich, but I don't have an A/F gauge so I'm not sure. Also, don't think anything was done to the WG, but I guess it is something to explore...
    2003 WRX - 33k miles

Im willing to bet you just need a tune. The Injen intake is crap. It above all others needs a tune to run right.
    Chris

This is probably unrelated but when i got my car back from my first tune, it felt like i had to mash the pedal to get it going. Then i put on a lightweight crank pulley and it felt like i gained 50 hp in first gear. Was an amazing difference, but again this is probably unrelated to what you have going on.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.