'02 wrx died at idle?

This is a discussion on '02 wrx died at idle? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi. I just bought a '02 wrx about a week ago. It's actually the first MT vehicle I've owned, though ...

'02 wrx died at idle?

Hi. I just bought a '02 wrx about a week ago. It's actually the first MT vehicle I've owned, though I'd say I've gotten pretty decent at driving it/getting a feel for it.

But earlier today I had an interesting problem. I was in neutral at a stoplight for a few minutes (didn't want to prematurely trash my clutch by holding it in) at a slight upward incline. The light was about to turn green, so I shift into first to get ready to pull forward and, as I tried to give it a little gas I noticed that nothing was happening. I thought, "ok, I must have stalled or something." So I tried starting it back up and... nothing. Air conditioner was still on, turn signal was still on, etc. I kept trying to turn it over, but it was almost like the starter was dead or something 'cause I couldn't hear anything from the engine. Eventually I got it going and, as I started to pull away, I noticed the engine rpm very quickly jumped way up through 1st and 2nd gear (not redline or anything, but around 4-5k). After that little fiasco, it seems to be driving fine.

I got the car pretty much stock from a used car dealership with just under 52k miles. Carfax came back clean. The only mods are a carbon fiber hood, shifting knob, and clifford security system. I haven't taken it in for service yet as I'm waiting for financing to get finalized before I do (I put in a pretty decent down payment -- I'm just financing a small portion of the balance).

Any ideas what could have caused the problem? I haven't stalled it since the first day I got it, let alone on a small incline like that. I've stopped on much steeper hills than that with no problems whatsoever. I don't drive it hard. I really like this car and it's the only vehicle I have at the moment to get me to and from work/school.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The problem is that it can't be fixed now because it works. One thing I thought of when you mentioned the engine speed going up and up is that some people have found the cable link for the cruise control opens up the throttle when the car gets hot -- like in summer when waiting for a light. But since it's your first MT and you were turning on an incline, maybe it was a stall after all, I don't know. See what happens.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Have there been any check engine lights (CEL), any kind of intake, cold air or short ram? Maybe take and post pics of the engine bay.

The CEL did briefly flash, but I just dismissed it as being part of the normal engine startup/stalling/self-check/whatever. It didn't stay on or anything. One thing I forgot to mention that I did find kind of weird is that once it died, the brakes seemed to take more force to keep the car from rolling back, without using the handbrake. It has been pretty hot outside and the car was parked for about an hour or so just before this happened. It runs fine now though (knock on wood).

Engine oil, tranny fluid, coolant level, etc. all look good. I'll try to post better pics and/or repost with more details, if it happens again. I was just curious as to what the culprit may have been (not excluding myself).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo0430.jpg   Photo0422.jpg  

Sounds like you didn't give it enough gas, or too much clutch, happens to everyone once and a while.

You're missing part of the stock intake.
    Does it have fog lights under the fog light covers?
    Can you take a picture of the turbo?

http://www.google.com/m/search?site=...bay+stock#i=58
    This is what your engine bay should look like upon first glance. Like Integra96 said, you'reissong part of your intake. I don't know if that's it or not. Hopefully it was a random issue and won't reoccur.

Quote Originally Posted by Skreekin View Post
    http://www.google.com/m/search?site=...bay+stock#i=58
    This is what your engine bay should look like upon first glance. Like Integra96 said, you'reissong part of your intake. I don't know if that's it or not. Hopefully it was a random issue and won't reoccur.
    Here's a good picture of what it should look like from Skreekin's link.

BTW Skreekin, I don't think Teggie has joined us in this thread

Yeah, I see the plastic intake scoop is missing. Is that really necessary though? It may have been removed because of clearance w/the hood? Not sure about the fog lights. I'll have to check on that one... don't get much fog around here to really need them. I'm at work right now so I can't really provide any other pics at this time.

Until it happens again, I'll just chalk it up to a fluke/driver error.

Thanks for all your help.

The reason I asked about the fog lights and a picture of the turbo is because the car may have been heavily modified before.

A common thing to do is upgrade the downpipe, and remove the stock heat shield (then losing it).
    One the feel of the performance increase wears off, the owner may have upgraded the turbo and installed a front mounted intercooler, and in the process modifies/removes the front bumper beam and removes the fog lights (then losing them).

What I'm getting at is you should make sure your WRX's bumper beam is intact for safety reasons. If your turbo is missing it's heat shield then you should buy one and install it, otherwise it's not holding heat like it should (to keep the spool rate up) and it's heating up your engine bay.
    Fog lights.. eh, that's really up to you.

Edit: Just looked at the exterior shot again.
    The bumper is missing the center bottom black plastic insert that is there to funnels toward the radiator, that's another sign that the car had a Front Mounted Intercooler.

Your CF hood has all the same lines as the stock hood, there should not be any clearance issues, it's likely the previous owner lost that peace before returning it to stock, to sell it.

Edit2: The stock seats in 02-03's have black on the outside, and an ugly blue pattern on the inside. The seats in your car look similar to the 06-07 WRX TR seats.
    Do the back seats and door panel inserts match the front seats?
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 08-04-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Here's a good picture of what it should look like from Skreekin's link.

BTW Skreekin, I don't think Teggie has joined us in this thread
    Yeah, sorry, I saw the 96 in yours, and thought of him. Haha.

I'd guess this car was pretty heavily modified before too. Makes me wonder what else is missing.....

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    The reason I asked about the fog lights and a picture of the turbo is because the car may have been heavily modified before.

A common thing to do is upgrade the downpipe, and remove the stock heat shield (then losing it).
    One the feel of the performance increase wears off, the owner may have upgraded the turbo and installed a front mounted intercooler, and in the process modifies/removes the front bumper beam and removes the fog lights (then losing them).

What I'm getting at is you should make sure your WRX's bumper beam is intact for safety reasons. If your turbo is missing it's heat shield then you should buy one and install it, otherwise it's not holding heat like it should (to keep the spool rate up) and it's heating up your engine bay.
    Fog lights.. eh, that's really up to you.

Edit: Just looked at the exterior shot again.
    The bumper is missing the center bottom black plastic insert that is there to funnels toward the radiator, that's another sign that the car had a Front Mounted Intercooler.

Your CF hood has all the same lines as the stock hood, there should not be any clearance issues, it's likely the previous owner lost that peace before returning it to stock, to sell it.

Edit2: The stock seats in 02-03's have black on the outside, and an ugly blue pattern on the inside. The seats in your car look similar to the 06-07 WRX TR seats.
    Do the back seats and door panel inserts match the front seats?
    Good to know! I'm not very car savvy to notice details like that. I had my suspicions that there was more to the car than appears. The seats are a black/gray and the back and door panels match. I did notice that there appear to be a few bolts missing from the front bumper.

I had my uncle (who knows A LOT more about cars than I do) check it out with me and drive it before I bought it, just to make sure there weren't any major problems.

I'm going to take it in for service pretty soon here and I'll be sure to mention the observations from this thread.

I really do appreciate all the help. I knew joining these forums would be well worth it.