Question regarding oil change fequency and type.

This is a discussion on Question regarding oil change fequency and type. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok guys, I'm new to the forum and have been searching and reading a lot. I have a 2010 hatch ...

Question regarding oil change fequency and type.

Ok guys, I'm new to the forum and have been searching and reading a lot. I have a 2010 hatch that is about a month old. Most of my questions were answered except for a few. I was reading the TSB regarding oil changing intervals being shortened to 3,750 miles. That's fine because I've always changed my synthetic oil @ 3k. I was just wondering when I should do my first oil change? I have 900 miles on the car and was thinking about changing to Redline synthetic 5w-30 at 1k-1.5k miles. I was reading some people recommend changing at 3k to a dino oil and then finally switching to synthetic at 6k. Is this really needed? My last car I switched to synthetic about 2k miles in. Also, those of you who use redline oil, what website do you purchase from? My local subaru garage has Amsoil but according to the TSB it seemed I could not use Amsoil synthetic and keep my warranty in tact. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Brand apologists will tell you that you are wrong; however, if something should go wrong it will be a hassle for you to explain how and why not using an expendable that meets the manufacturer's spec should have no bearing on your warranty claim etc. Magnusson-Moss will do you little good if stuff hits the fan and your car is waiting for repairs but it's unclear who's paying the bill immediately.

The simplest thing to do is to follow the manufacturer's oil change intervals and specific product requirements/specifications, at least until your warranty is up. This means you're asking a good question but to the wrong people; the owner's manual is the first and final authority.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I plan to stick with a 3k change schedule with whatever oil I use. I was more interested if I should wait until my 2nd oil change @ 6k to switch to synthetic, or if I could switch right away. If I can switch right away, does it make sense to do it sooner than the first oil change of 3k?

Thanks.

yea, you deff need to follow the manual to the tee if you want to keep your waranty. after its up, i would research rotella
    5w-40 (yea, diesel oil...). if you dont mind paying out the ass for syntetic, i would stay with it. but everyone i know running rotella in their subie has had no problems in the last few years (since they started running it.)
    bugeye mafia #232
    World Rally Blue 2002 WRX Stage 2 290 awhp
    my mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by amill View Post
    I plan to stick with a 3k change schedule with whatever oil I use. I was more interested if I should wait until my 2nd oil change @ 6k to switch to synthetic, or if I could switch right away. If I can switch right away, does it make sense to do it sooner than the first oil change of 3k?

Thanks.
    I have not seen any reports of Subaru using a break-in oil. That said, in my car I waited until past 10K to switch to synth, and others had done analyses at 15K showing their motors were still breaking in. If there are any data I'd be interested in seeing them WRT initial wear patterns.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by amill View Post

Thanks.
    I got synthetic on my 1st oil change at the dealer. They didn't mention anything wrong with it.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to change to synthetic on my first oil change. I think I'll wait until 1500-2k miles to change over. Now in regard to the TSB, it states:

Summary:
    Use a GF4/SM oil if you have a 2006 or later Subaru
    change your oil at 3750 miles
    use synthetic if you want

List of GF-4 (or SM) approved oils:
    Castrol Syntec 5w30
    Redline Synthetic 5w30
    Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
    Mobil1 (classic, non-supersyn) 5w30

What is NOT GF-4 (or SM) approved?
    -Royal Purple
    -Motul
    -Mobil1 SuperSyn

Doesn't mention where Amsoil falls. The text below is from Amsoils website. It looks like they meet GF-4(SM) standards, but is not listed in the Oil TSB thread that is stickied.

APPLICATIONS
    AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is recommended for gasoline engines, diesel engines (API CF, ACEA B5) and other applications requiring any of the listed worldwide specifications:

API SM/CF, SL, SJ ...
    ILSAC GF-4, 3 ...
    ACEA A5/B5 A1/B1
    JASO VTW
    GM 4718M, 6094M
    Ford WSS M2C929-A
    Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N
    VW 503.00

So my question is, does Amsoil 5w-30 meet the requirements for the Oil TSB?

Sorry for the noob questions, just want to make sure I'm staying warranty compliant.

I Support ClubWRX
    They get really cute with their wording. "Recommended for" does not equal "meets." "Meets" equals "meets." If the bottle does not have an API doughnut and GFxx or Sxx labeling on it, it's not that type of oil.

Contact them directly; email has worked in my experience. Despite their crushingly tasteless marketing schemes they are very responsive to customers and are very informative when asked direct questions, to be fair.