03 WRX Overheating?

This is a discussion on 03 WRX Overheating? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Last week, i was driving on the highway and noticed that my engine temp was in the red. i then ...

03 WRX Overheating?

Last week, i was driving on the highway and noticed that my engine temp was in the red. i then smelled coolant, so i pulled over, popped the hood, and saw coolant everywhere in the engine compartment along with a busted upper radiator hose. i then filled the coolant reservoir with water thinking it would help, but i noticed that the water wasn't cycling through the engine.
    my car broke down in the middle of nowhere, so i had to drive it back to the nearest town (5 min on, 5 min off to cool down). Does anyone have any idea what it could be (possible stuck thermostat, radiator cap not holding pressure, or water pump broken)? my car will overheat within minutes of being turned on and i need it for work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RedRex3 View Post
    Last week, i was driving on the highway and noticed that my engine temp was in the red. i then smelled coolant, so i pulled over, popped the hood, and saw coolant everywhere in the engine compartment along with a busted upper radiator hose. i then filled the coolant reservoir with water thinking it would help, but i noticed that the water wasn't cycling through the engine.
    my car broke down in the middle of nowhere, so i had to drive it back to the nearest town (5 min on, 5 min off to cool down). Does anyone have any idea what it could be (possible stuck thermostat, radiator cap not holding pressure, or water pump broken)? my car will overheat within minutes of being turned on and i need it for work.
    First make sure the vehicle is filled with coolant and be 100% sure there is no air in the system ( after replacing the blown upper hose first ), than start the vehicle up and make sure the fans are cycling ( and when they do make sure they blow hot air ) ....How many miles are on the car?

My first guesses would be thermostat, blockage, and water pump. I'd start with the thermostat though. I don't know if subarus do it, but I thought when the water pump fails in most cars that it leaks at the pump. I'm no mechanic though.

my car has 68k.
    where i live, i don't have any subaru dealers around, so what type of coolant can i use?
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Skreekin View Post
    My first guesses would be thermostat, blockage, and water pump. I'd start with the thermostat though. I don't know if subarus do it, but I thought when the water pump fails in most cars that it leaks at the pump. I'm no mechanic though.

There is a weep hole where you can inspect to see if the water pump is leaking...

my car has 68k.
    where i live, i don't have any subaru dealers around, so what type of coolant can i use?
    thanks!
    There's a few subaru dealerships that will do mail-order parts. I honestly wish I could remember the one I've dealt with previously, but I would go that route. Get the subaru-recommended "green" coolant. I'm really not sure how chemically different it is from other coolants out there, but I'd rather stick with what the factory recommends.
    2002 Silver Bugeye WRX - Bugeye Mafia #327
    "Stage 2" + STI TMIC

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    There is a weep hole where you can inspect to see if the water pump is leaking...
    I figured it was something like that.

I Support ClubWRX
    my car has 68k.
    thanks!
    You can use any of the universal type coolants. The bottle will say "suitable for top up for any car, any coolant etc." Peak Global is one option. Make sure it is universal.

You don't know whether the hose is a cause or effect. Replace the hose, top up and burp the system thoroughly. If you have a circulation problem it'll become evident when you're trying to burp the system -- with the cap off you should at some point have a full, burped system and coolant should circulate. If not as mentioned suspect obstruction in rad, thermostat, or water pump.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses along with the thermostat. My car is no longer overheating, however, the coolant is not flowing into the overflow tank.

I Support ClubWRX
    So the level of coolant in the overflow tank does not vary between when the engine is cold and when it's been driven for a couple hours? If so check for an obstruction in the overflow hose, and if none, replace the radiator cap (I'm assuming you only have one rad cap, and all this assumes you've burped the system well and verified circulation beforehand).
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for all your help. I replaced the radiator cap and now the coolant is going to the overflow tank. Problem solved

I Support ClubWRX
    Fantastic news!