New engine cranks but wont start
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New engine cranks but wont start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, I recently did a 2.5 swap in my 03 bugeye. its still got the 2.0 heads but they have ...

Exclamation New engine cranks but wont start

Hey, I recently did a 2.5 swap in my 03 bugeye. its still got the 2.0 heads but they have been completely gone through with bc stage 1 cams. we put the whole thing back together and tried to start it. at first the fuel pump wasnt working but with a couple taps it worked fine and still will work when you turn the key to on. Now it sounds like it doesnt want to fire. when you first start to crank it will fire once and then just crank. i pulled the coil pack on the passenger front and there isnt any spark. It did throw a code for crank position sensor range/perf. i replaced it and the cam sensor. weve tried just about everything i can think of and i still cant get it to fire. i was wondering if any has had this problem or can give me some advice. i have no hair left haha

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by shorty38 View Post
    Hey, I recently did a 2.5 swap in my 03 bugeye. its still got the 2.0 heads but they have been completely gone through with bc stage 1 cams. we put the whole thing back together and tried to start it. at first the fuel pump wasnt working but with a couple taps it worked fine and still will work when you turn the key to on. Now it sounds like it doesnt want to fire. when you first start to crank it will fire once and then just crank. i pulled the coil pack on the passenger front and there isnt any spark. It did throw a code for crank position sensor range/perf. i replaced it and the cam sensor. weve tried just about everything i can think of and i still cant get it to fire. i was wondering if any has had this problem or can give me some advice. i have no hair left haha
    Are you absolutely positive that the timing belt is installed correctly? Also check the two large connectors between the battery and the washer bottle, I have seen terminals back out of these before and cause seriously erroneous problems...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Are you absolutely positive that the timing belt is installed correctly? Also check the two large connectors between the battery and the washer bottle, I have seen terminals back out of these before and cause seriously erroneous problems...
    +1 Sounds like maybe incorrect timing,connector issue or ground problem. Double all connectors and check the engine grounds.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Something else I was thinking of...Are you sure the cam sprockets are installed in the correct locations? There is a reluctor on the back of the D/S intake sprocket for the cam sensor... Since this year didnt have the AVCS its alot easier to perhaps put the right pulley on the wrong cam...

timing has been checked twice and is perfect and theres only on way thesprockets can go due to the cams being and different depths or i dont know how to explain it but the metal cam should be on the drivers intake and it is. i was told its possibly a knock sensor causing the ecu to retard the timing but it seems to be fine. if all else fails im gonna get a subaru mechanic to come look at it which i will prob get raped for but o well

metal cam sprocket that is ***
    also there is one connector that is in between the battery and washer bottle that is disconnected but its so full of dirt it had to of been that way. theres a water nipple coming up out of the very middle top of the block that we just blocked becuase we couldnt find where it would go and came to the conclusion that the old motor didnt have one. if anyone knows where that would go that would help a ton or if we did the correct thing to block it. and the last thing is theres a vaccum line coming off of the spacer inbetween the intake manifold and head. its the drivers side rear and we could find where that went so we also blocked it
    any clues?

metal cam sprocket that is ***
    also there is one connector that is in between the battery and washer bottle that is disconnected but its so full of dirt it had to of been that way. theres a water nipple coming up out of the very middle top of the block that we just blocked becuase we couldnt find where it would go and came to the conclusion that the old motor didnt have one. if anyone knows where that would go that would help a ton or if we did the correct thing to block it. and the last thing is theres a vaccum line coming off of the spacer inbetween the intake manifold and head. its the drivers side rear and we could find where that went so we also blocked it
    any clues?
    The vacuum line it sounds like your talking about is the vent hose for the TGV's it is normal for that to be kind of hanging out the back over the D/S head ... The little connector your speaking of... how many wires are going to it it sounds like it might be the connector for the second washer pump motor for the WRX wagons.. The water nipple it sounds like that is coming out of the top of the block is the factory coolant line that is plugged at the factory, so that should remain untouched....

alright thanks but should that line coming out of the tgv just be open ended because we looked for a long ass time trying to find something for it to hook to but theres no place. and then i still have the firing problem

alright thanks but should that line coming out of the tgv just be open ended because we looked for a long ass time trying to find something for it to hook to but theres no place. and then i still have the firing problem
    Yes it should be open ended...Have you checked your timing marks?

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have the coil pack connectors right? Black to back,white to front?
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

ive checked the connectors and they are right ive had the timing cover off and also checked that twice. im about to lose it on this car. ive tried everything. i hooked up a genysis engine scanner and it threw the code for crank sensor range/performance again so i cleared it and still nothing. ived disconected the security system and still nothing. i really need someones help and if someone lives around the cities or somewhat close by and knows what there doing i would be willing to pick them up for some help.

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to check and back probe the crank sensor harness/wires for dammage.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.