2002 WRX not running after heatup
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX not running after heatup within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bought the car new. It has been running perfect since but recently it doesn't run and no one around here ...

Question 2002 WRX not running after heatup

Bought the car new. It has been running perfect since but recently it doesn't run and no one around here has any answers.

When the car starts it acts normally. The temperature gauge rises normally. After about 50 miles, the car begins to stutter or miss fire (it feels like) (quite a definite physical jerking) at high RPMs (4000 +) and the condition continues to worsen down to very low RPMs (2000) until the car does not have enough power to pull its own weight. As I slow down to 2 MPH, and pull over to the side of the road, the car idles at 750 dropping occasionally to nearly zero but not completely shutting off. I can rev the engine to 3500 RPM (weakly, it feels) but when I put it in gear, it has absolutely no power. I wait, go about a fifty yards and have to pull over again. Slipping the clutch, etc, I finally give up and walk home.

I wait about an hour+, return to the car, and it starts up normally. If I drive less than thirty miles the car gets me around and seems to behave normally.

I noticed a faint repetitive chirping sound the last time it stalled out.

The local dealership has (expensively) replaced the oxygen sensor and the catalytic converter in an attempt to fix the problem, to no avail.Their repairs affect the problem not at all.

As you can see, I am not a car expert. I do not trust the dealership to know much either. I have a mechanic who is quite good (but who was stumped by the car's behavior) and I can relay any technical information to him.

I would deeply appreciate any light anyone out there may shine on this catastrophic problem.

Thanks,

Tom Spleth

Tom Spleth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you modified the car in any way? Any ECU changes/piggyback/reflashes? Are you running any cold air intake? Have you recently done any work on the car, especially withe the air intake system? Have any CELs gone off? If so, what were the codes?

Dear Mr. Skreekin,

Thanks for your response.

The car has not been modified in any way.

The only work done on the car was the oxygen sensor and catalytic convertor in the past couple of weeks or so. No work done before the car started acting up.

I will do some research and get back to you with answers to your other questions.

T

Tom Spleth

Do you have a check engine light?

If possible does your mechanic have a code reader or a scan tool? If your case it could help finding this problem.

Scan tools new may cost up to $4k.

Code reader 50 bux, BUT may not be so helpful.

Check engine light has never gone on.

I will talk to my Mechanic this morning.

Thanks,

T

Tom Spleth

I Support ClubWRX
    Without having something like a OBDII scanner or multimeter it could be difficult to really track down over the internet due to us relying on info/data from you to diagnose the problem.
    • How many miles on the car?
    • Last time you changed the fuel filter?
    • Has the fuel pressure been tested?
    • What octane gas are you using?
    • Is the car using coolant?
    • Has the car been tested for a possible blown head gasket?
    • When were the spark plugs last changed?
    • What is the plug type/part #?
    • What is the plug gap?
    • Did they replace the front or rear O2 sensor?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.