High RPM at idle

This is a discussion on High RPM at idle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Any advice, suggestions, very much appreciated.... Last week driving to work was stuck in construction on the highway - stop ...

High RPM at idle

Any advice, suggestions, very much appreciated....

Last week driving to work was stuck in construction on the highway - stop and go for about 7 miles, up to 5mph at the fastest. After being stuck for about 10 minutes, noticed the RPMs were climbing when I came to a complete stop. Even with the car in neutral, ebrake up, (No, the floor mats weren't hitting the gas) I was idling at about 2500. After another 5 minutes I was at 3000, and within 10 minutes I was at 4000. Finally pulled over and turned the car off for 10 minutes. Turned it back on and I went right up to 5000.

So...I unplugged the idle control valve and drove the rest of the way in. Idle was rough, obviously, but normal.

Yesterday I replaced the valve completely, plugged everything back in, and seemed fine - until about 10 minutes of city driving sent my idling back up to 2500 at a stop sign, and within another 5 minutes, I was at 5000!!!!

Anyone have thoughts? Throttle wire? Computer? I've noticed a few similar threads but nothing that seemed completely resolved?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well, I was going to say IACV but obiously that's covered. Have you done anything to the cooling system lately? Any possibility of air getting into the system? Might want to try burping the coolant and making sure there's no air in there.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have an IAC valve... you have an 02-05 wrx, correct?

Besides high idle, any other problems?
    CEL?

Mods? BOV specifically?

Did you replace the gasket and the IAC valve? If there's a clogged IAC or a leaky gasket there can be idle issues...
    (see here:http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&highlight=iac)

If the TPS is busted, it can cause abnormally high idle as well
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

EGT valve is a possibility too, though the car will usually die sometimes too when you stop if that's the culprit.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    EGT valve is a possibility too, though the car will usually die sometimes too when you stop if that's the culprit.
    I'll call you later today about heading up there Scott.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    If you have an IAC valve... you have an 02-05 wrx, correct?

Besides high idle, any other problems?
    CEL?

Mods? BOV specifically?

Did you replace the gasket and the IAC valve? If there's a clogged IAC or a leaky gasket there can be idle issues...
    (see here:http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&highlight=iac)

If the TPS is busted, it can cause abnormally high idle as well
    Yup, '03. No other problems - car runs perfectly until this started. CEL hasn't even blinked. No mods (yet), no BOV. Yup, gasket and valve were replaced - am checking to make sure I did that right and didn't somehow mess up, but I think I was careful...

TPS I haven't checked yet, that's my next step.
    Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    If ambient temps are high and you are stop/go, temps on the surface of the motor can get quite high. I remember a couple people complaining that the actual throttle cable needed loosening -- I don't remember if it was the link for the gas pedal or the link for the cruise control though. Maybe look around for posts like that too.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 On the cruise control cable.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    It's the link for the cruise control. Our old buddy (or not so much)... Wrinklechops had this problem.... But it wasn't nearly this high of an idle problem, so I neglected to even think of the cruise control cable.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

High RPM only in stop and go traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Kassalei View Post
    Any advice, suggestions, very much appreciated....

Last week driving to work was stuck in construction on the highway - stop and go for about 7 miles, up to 5mph at the fastest. After being stuck for about 10 minutes, noticed the RPMs were climbing when I came to a complete stop. Even with the car in neutral, ebrake up, (No, the floor mats weren't hitting the gas) I was idling at about 2500. After another 5 minutes I was at 3000, and within 10 minutes I was at 4000. Finally pulled over and turned the car off for 10 minutes. Turned it back on and I went right up to 5000.

So...I unplugged the idle control valve and drove the rest of the way in. Idle was rough, obviously, but normal.

Yesterday I replaced the valve completely, plugged everything back in, and seemed fine - until about 10 minutes of city driving sent my idling back up to 2500 at a stop sign, and within another 5 minutes, I was at 5000!!!!

Anyone have thoughts? Throttle wire? Computer? I've noticed a few similar threads but nothing that seemed completely resolved?

Did you get any resolution? I have the same problem > But only in stop and go traffic > i noticed the intake air temperature to be 50 plus degrees centigrade when it happens.
    Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Thread info generally correct, cable or linkage first then all else.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thank you