Turbo whistle normal?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Turbo whistle normal? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im new to Subarus so this may be a dumb question. When Im driving and my turbo is at like ...

Turbo whistle normal?

Im new to Subarus so this may be a dumb question. When Im driving and my turbo is at like -.05 half throttle it makes a whining like whistle noise but as soon as it gets in to boost it goes away. The car boost pretty good but it only goes up to like .07 or .08 boost in 1st gear then goes up to 1 when in second gear. Is this normal or do I have a problem?
    Oh some times in second gear it dosnt go all the way to 1 and if read correctly then 1 on my boost gauge from subaru should be 14 psi which is what they run stock correct? Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh and the car is completely bone stock no upgrades at all

Its probably just your turbo beginning to spool, but it could be a leak... doubt it though. 1 bar of boost should be 14.5 psi if im correct.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

I have an 03, and the factory boost gauge, and I get that whistle at 0 bar and it goes away when there is more boost. I think this is normal for our cars.

PS I also have a KN drop in filter, this made this more noticable.

I have an '06, and I didn't notice any whistle until I went with an aftermarket downpipe, so I can't comment on whether it's normal for your particular year.

Perfectly normal not to see peak boost in 1st gear.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

DUB
    The OE boost gauge measures in megapascals (Mpa), not bar. Boost from the factory is 13.5 psi or .093 Mpa. So, at full boost your needle should be just below .01 on the gauge.
    Boost is dependent on load, not gear or throttle position. To see your max boost do a wide open pull in 3rd or 4th gear.
    The whistling you are hearing is just the sound of the exhaust gases passing through and lightly spinning the turbine. It's normal. It gets really loud when you install a cat-less up pipe and delete the intake silencer (or install an after market intake). If you are achieving full boost, which sounds like you are based upon your observation of the gauge at .01, then you don't have a leak.

great help thank you so much guys!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.