Fuel smell from trunk.

This is a discussion on Fuel smell from trunk. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm running out of ideas here.... So last summer when it got real hot I started to smell a raw ...

Fuel smell from trunk.

I'm running out of ideas here....

So last summer when it got real hot I started to smell a raw gas inside of the car, it came and went and i was never really able to pinpoint it. I'm sure most of us are well aware of the faulty fuel line located under the intake manifold, considering my stock fuel rails have been gone a long time and this problem usually appears when it is cold not hot that can be ruled out. Once the weather cooled down the problem disappeared.

Now at the beginning of this summer the smell started coming back this time i started throwing a "loose gas cap code" the exact code number escapes me right now, so i check the gas cap, it's fine, ECU reset. a few days later bam! it pops again. So one day after filling up I get back in the car and it smells heavy of gas, i open the trunk and that is where it was the strongest. I get home pull the fuel pump, replace the gasket between the cover and the gas tank, pull off the charcoal box inspect that check all the Evap hoses under the car and everything checks out. Put it all back together and the smell is still coming and going. I plug my netbook into my car and also notice that my adv. Dyn. is dipping in and out of the negatives (light knocking?) Son of a......! Fuel pressure leak = tune thrown out of wack?

Basically I'm running out of ideas here, A smog shop could pressure test my tank but that will only tell me what i already know. Smoke test? Anyone know if it has to be a specialty shop that does that? Any other ideas short of dropping the whole tank and removing all hoses? My car is slowly dying while I sit here stumped.

Anyone?

P.S. Why and when did my post count reset to 4? WTF?
    Carpe Diem!

My 03 Bugeye is cooler than your mom

Bugeye Mafia #222

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer3636 View Post
    I'm running out of ideas here....

So last summer when it got real hot I started to smell a raw gas inside of the car, it came and went and i was never really able to pinpoint it. I'm sure most of us are well aware of the faulty fuel line located under the intake manifold, considering my stock fuel rails have been gone a long time and this problem usually appears when it is cold not hot that can be ruled out. Once the weather cooled down the problem disappeared.

Now at the beginning of this summer the smell started coming back this time i started throwing a "loose gas cap code" the exact code number escapes me right now, so i check the gas cap, it's fine, ECU reset. a few days later bam! it pops again. So one day after filling up I get back in the car and it smells heavy of gas, i open the trunk and that is where it was the strongest. I get home pull the fuel pump, replace the gasket between the cover and the gas tank, pull off the charcoal box inspect that check all the Evap hoses under the car and everything checks out. Put it all back together and the smell is still coming and going. I plug my netbook into my car and also notice that my adv. Dyn. is dipping in and out of the negatives (light knocking?) Son of a......! Fuel pressure leak = tune thrown out of wack?

Basically I'm running out of ideas here, A smog shop could pressure test my tank but that will only tell me what i already know. Smoke test? Anyone know if it has to be a specialty shop that does that? Any other ideas short of dropping the whole tank and removing all hoses? My car is slowly dying while I sit here stumped.

Anyone?

The first thought that came to my mind was a smoke test. Usually, a dealer service department will be able to handle this test, and if not, they could prob. point you in the correct direction, If the code comes back on I would like to know what code it is...

I Support ClubWRX
    There was an issue where a lot of people lost a lot of posts. PM ray and he can bump you to where you need to be
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    The first thought that came to my mind was a smoke test. Usually, a dealer service department will be able to handle this test, and if not, they could prob. point you in the correct direction, If the code comes back on I would like to know what code it is...
    I'm going to pull it apart tonight and tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to find something, Someone suggested a possible problem with the valve control solenoid? if not I'll be hunting for a smoke machine.

exact code is:
    P0457 EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Fuel Cap Loose/Off)
    Carpe Diem!

Bugeye Mafia #222

I'm going to pull it apart tonight and tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to find something, Someone suggested a possible problem with the valve control solenoid? if not I'll be hunting for a smoke machine.

exact code is:
    P0457 EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Fuel Cap Loose/Off)

I'm assuming you have checked the seal on the fuel filler cap itself?

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I'm assuming you have checked the seal on the fuel filler cap itself?
    Sure did, I actually replaced my whole gas cap. went over all the Evap lines below the trunk again this weekend and came up empty handed again.
    Carpe Diem!

Bugeye Mafia #222

I Support ClubWRX
    Not if this is do-able at all, but just thought I'd kick the idea around of just finding another fuel tank at a junk yard and swapping it in.

Might be cheaper than the test/repair in the end. Not sure what is involved with a fuel tank fix at all - is fiberglass okay with gas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Sure did, I actually replaced my whole gas cap. went over all the Evap lines below the trunk again this weekend and came up empty handed again.
    Did you get the chance to hook up a smoke machine? This would def. be my next move, You would be very surprised what you can find... Alot of times the fuel filler neck rusts out due to that little plastic shield covering it ( dirt and salt and road debris get behind the shield and sit in there and rot ), I have seen many of these throw that code... Also check your canister purge solenoid, I have seen tiny tiny cracks on the nipples of these cause problems...