My 03 WRX rally ed. shakes some times
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on My 03 WRX rally ed. shakes some times within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It doesn't happen every time but some times, I have a lot of mods done to my car, an IHI ...

Unhappy My 03 WRX rally ed. shakes some times

It doesn't happen every time but some times, I have a lot of mods done to my car, an IHI VF 22 turbo, a INvidia performance Downpipe, a front mounted intercooler that i mod-ed on to it. A long with some other stuff. sometime when i am going up a slight hill, and i am in either 1st-3rd gear it will rattle on me. by rattle i mean the car shakes basically like the car is getting to much throttle, as well as the RPMs jump up. Anyone have any ideas as to whats going on? If not and you need more info please let me know and i will put it on here, I just changed the downpipe because my old downpipe had a heat crack in it so i put in the Nividia one in this weekend thinking that was the problem, but turned out to be something else. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Are the RPM's jumping up without an increase in speed? If that's the case, your clutch is on it's way out.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

yea but if my foot isn't on the clutch would that still happen?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruMarine View Post
    yea but if my foot isn't on the clutch would that still happen?
    What do you mean? If you're driving along as normal, and hit the gas, and the RPM's jump up but your speed doesn't increase, your clutch is on it's way out, this is assuming your foot is NOT on the clutch pedal and the clutch is fully engaged (clutch not in at all).

Also, I didn't see any mention of engine management, you did get the car tuned after modifying it, right?
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Yeah the engine has been tuned since all the mods, i have a access port that allows me to communicate with the internal computer as well. Whats throwing me off is the fact that the engine shakes when i hit the gas going UP hills even slight slopes sometimes. Its not every time but just some of the times i go up hills.

I Support ClubWRX
    Could be a misfire. I guess I'm misunderstanding the problem though. If the RPM's are indeed increasing without speed increasing, it's probably just the clutch/flywheel causing the vibration. If the RPM's aren't going up without speed increasing, then you may have a misfire issue, and you would want to consult your tuner about that.

Going uphill puts more load on the engine and if the clutch isn't up to the task it will be more likely to slip in this situation.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Sure its not the center diff instead of the engine? Do you have mismatched tires on it i.e. did you just replace 2 tires, or do you have staggered sizes?

Once put under a load, the center diff could be binding due to the mismatched size and causing your shaking.

Just a thought.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks for the helpful info, I'm going to get it taken in and see if it is indeed the clutch, its not the tires because they are the same size and were purchased at the same time.

Sounds like a clutch to me. It only happens on hills because there's more stress on it at that point.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Your right, had my friend who happens to be a mechanic look at it. Definitely is the clutch, thankfully bought a replacement, going to his shop to use his lift and changing it out tomorrow. Not the way i was planning on spending my saturday haha. The Clutch disk is the problem apparently.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.