Just bought an '05 WRX wagon, had a couple questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just bought an '05 WRX wagon, had a couple questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, hoping you guys could help me out. I have looked through the FAQ's and searched old threads, couldn't find ...

Just bought an '05 WRX wagon, had a couple questions

Hi, hoping you guys could help me out. I have looked through the FAQ's and searched old threads, couldn't find specific answers. Here's what I'm wondering:

1) I hear a high pitch "wow wow wow" kind of noise when I drive above 60, pitch changes depending on speed and does not change whether i have the clutch depressed or not. the sound is more like "wap wap wap" at lower speeds. Reading old posts, this indicated either a bearing issue or uneven tire wear (or both??). I jacked up the car to try to wiggle the tire around to see if anything down there is lose but everything is tight. However there's lots of wear on the inside of the tire and the wear is also wavy. So i'm thinking this noise is tire noise. I had someone at Big O look at it and the guy said if the shock is bad the tire will not maintain the contact patch and this leads to the wavy pattern i'm seeing. Is this true?

2) Is the valve train loud on this car? I hear very faint ticks when the engine is under load and i have the windows open, but doing some reading, people say it's kind of a loud and ticky engine and not to really worry about anything unless it's really loud.

3) Very slow oil leak in front of driver side. I was told this is the crank/cam seal and I can take care of this when i get my timing belt replaced. Does that sound about right? I did open the hood to make sure there wasn't oil all over the place and the engine bay is clean, no oil on the timing belt or anything like that.

4) Last question, sorry - is there a way I can tell the car had it's 60k done? I bought the car with 75k miles but I have no idea if the car had it's scheduled maint. (it was an auction car).

Appreciate your help. This car is really fun to drive, i want to try to keep it running as long as possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have a 05 wagon too....its a hatch back.... at least that what i tell people haha.. uhh no the drive train isnt loud, yes its a little louder of a car....but nothing you'd wonder about. as far as the 60K id pull something off that should have been done and check the gasket. if in doubt throw it out and do it your self. i changed my oil the day i got it from the dealer.....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fatmouse View Post
    Hi, hoping you guys could help me out. I have looked through the FAQ's and searched old threads, couldn't find specific answers. Here's what I'm wondering:

1) I hear a high pitch "wow wow wow" kind of noise when I drive above 60, pitch changes depending on speed and does not change whether i have the clutch depressed or not. the sound is more like "wap wap wap" at lower speeds. Reading old posts, this indicated either a bearing issue or uneven tire wear (or both??). I jacked up the car to try to wiggle the tire around to see if anything down there is lose but everything is tight. However there's lots of wear on the inside of the tire and the wear is also wavy. So i'm thinking this noise is tire noise. I had someone at Big O look at it and the guy said if the shock is bad the tire will not maintain the contact patch and this leads to the wavy pattern i'm seeing. Is this true?

2) Is the valve train loud on this car? I hear very faint ticks when the engine is under load and i have the windows open, but doing some reading, people say it's kind of a loud and ticky engine and not to really worry about anything unless it's really loud.

3) Very slow oil leak in front of driver side. I was told this is the crank/cam seal and I can take care of this when i get my timing belt replaced. Does that sound about right? I did open the hood to make sure there wasn't oil all over the place and the engine bay is clean, no oil on the timing belt or anything like that.

4) Last question, sorry - is there a way I can tell the car had it's 60k done? I bought the car with 75k miles but I have no idea if the car had it's scheduled maint. (it was an auction car).

Appreciate your help. This car is really fun to drive, i want to try to keep it running as long as possible.
    1) Yes it could be a shock/suspesion problem

2)Yes the valve train is noisy on these cars. 4 cams and two heads.

3)Yes,only way to change those is to pull the timing assembly

4) No way to tell. Have the nearest dealer run the VIN to see what maintenance was done at a Subaru dealer.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.