Something leaking near turbo? W/Pics Help!

This is a discussion on Something leaking near turbo? W/Pics Help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What up fellas? I am new to this forum and looking for some advice. I have a 2005 saab 92x ...

Question Something leaking near turbo? W/Pics Help!

What up fellas? I am new to this forum and looking for some advice. I have a 2005 saab 92x aero 2.0L with 125,000 on it. For those who are wondering why I am posting on this forum with a saab is infact this car has the subaru wrx motor in it. Ok with that cleared up onto the problem. I just did an oil change on the car and after 2 days I notice smoke coming from the hood with a funky smell. I lifted the hood and it was coming from where the turbo is. So after reasearching this thread I pulled off the heat shield to look for a leak. I see a small amout of oil on the heat shield and this white stuff that looks like something has been burning (please see pics). Anyone have any ideas of where my leak is coming from? This is not the first oil change that I have done on this car but it is the first time I have seen or smelled the smoke. 1 pic is from the top and 2 from the bottom. Thanks in advance!

PS wasnt sure how to put the pics in the post sorry

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 062.jpg   063.jpg   064.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There isn't a whole lot of variables. My guess would be the oil feed line as it is the only thing pressurized.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Looks to me like the downpipe to turbo gasket is leaking. Why it is leaking something white is beyond me. Perhaps the center housing on the turbo gave up the ghost. Are you getting white smoke out the tailpipe?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    there isn't a whole lot of variables. My guess would be the oil feed line as it is the only thing pressurized.
    +1
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+1 on the dp gasket... for the stain (I think its been there for a while)

I also think you spilled some oil on the crack case and thats what burned... causing the smoke.
    Last edited by tarmacsti; 07-27-2010 at 02:30 AM.
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsti View Post
    +1 on the dp gasket...
    No. A leaking exhaust gasket wouldn't cause a white residue that looks like something was burning (unless it's leaded fuel or e85)... and it has nothing to do with any oil that got splashed on the underside of the heatshield.
    Last edited by Sinister; 07-27-2010 at 02:41 AM.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Hey thanks alot guys for the response's! After looking at this other thread from NASIOC it sounds like it might just be an additive that I added to the gas. I did recently run a can of seafoam through her. Although it sure looks like the gasket going to the downpipe is leaking though. I am trying to find a vf39 with sti up and down pipe and tmic so when I do I will do those gaskets.
    If any of the banjo bolts for the oil feed or drain are leaking what should I do replace the bolt or just tighten it up? Reason I ask is that it looks like the banjo on the bottom is wet and possibly leaking very slowly. I am wondering if this little leak is the reason why the car seems to go through oil? How often do you guys need to top of your oil? To me it seems like the car goes through alot of oil and coolant but then I was told that it was probably because of the turbo. Does that make sense?