(pictures included, yay!) cv boot is leaking, but okay for one last long trip ?

This is a discussion on (pictures included, yay!) cv boot is leaking, but okay for one last long trip ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bottom line: I have to leave for school Wednesday. While the CV boot at least get me there? Details: So ...

(pictures included, yay!) cv boot is leaking, but okay for one last long trip ?

Bottom line: I have to leave for school Wednesday. While the CV boot at least get me there?

Details:
    So I was replacing my struts and discovered a lovely cv boot leak, the grease leaked onto the driveway.
    It is not leaving grease spots every time I park, but I do not really know how long it has been torn.
    No bad sounds yet.
    I am pretty confident that I can replace the cv boot on my own and I have already done some searching to find instruction and what not.
    But I do not think I have time to do it before I leave. The drive is about 2,500 miles.
    That's why I attached pictures. I need your guys personal options because I don't want to be broken down in the middle of no where.
    Can I maybe do some ghetto fix (pump some grease is and duct tape/electrical tape/zip tie shut) to assure I get to school at least?
    Thanks guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _MG_8233.jpg   _MG_8235.jpg   _MG_8232.jpg   _MG_8228.jpg   _MG_8225.jpg  

_MG_8223.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User AllShallPerishJ's Avatar
    I just posted a thread on the same problem about an hour ago...just not as severe. So I'll give you my opinion seeing how nobody wanted to help me out. (for once nasioc helped out more than this place and I figured it out on my own).

Keep it parked until you get it fixed. That's what I'm doing and yours looks FARRRR worse than mine does. A semi easy $25 replacement (http://www.fastwrx.com/frontaxle.html), or guaranteed major damage if you drive on it for an extended amount of time seems like a no brainier to me. It does suck about the scheduling conflict, but I would try to figure out a way to let your car sit until you replace the boot. I also wouldn't jerry-rig ghetto-fy a solution, as that will only add to your problems. IMO if your going to do something, do it right or don't do it at all.
    Live.Free.Or.Die
    Blobeye Syndicate #55

You'd be amazed what you can do in in a couple hours. Its cost I think $15 or $20(grease included) for a new boot, and about 2hrs in his driveway. With all the money you save get an alinment youll thank me later.

Personally, I have seen people believe it or not squirt grease in there, wrap the entire old boot/ doj and all with like an entire roll of duct tape and its lasted them for a while, however I do not recommend it, as mentioned you will be surprised what you can do in a few hours, unless of course the axle is seized in the hub ( of course if this is the case you can still replace the boot with the axle in the car ). Most dealers stock them. Do not go to napa or something for a part like this fore 90 percent of the aftermarket boots available are made of extremely poor rubber or whatever, Ive replaced dozens of these boots, with both aftermarket boots and factory ones, and I have seen the aftermarket ones come back....

yeah ive decided to stay and extra day and deal with this, but i do have to put about 35 more miles on it. my buddy that helped with the struts said that it was leaking a bout 2 weeks ago when we did some exhaust work, he just didnt realize how bad it was till we had the wheels off. that being the case ive already put at least 100 miles on the torn boot with my pizza delivery job. i should be fine to get to the dealership. hopefully the joint is still good...

cv boot was replaced without a hitch

$11 boot and $9 for both clips, genuine subaru oem
    $2 grease from autozone

one note.
    recently replaced struts [less than one week] so I knew those bolts would be no issue. just those two bolts gave enough play to barely get the axle out, so save yourself a little hassle.

and yes, it was a certified mechanic who insisted on doing it that way and helped me do it. so i think its safe to do so that way

Quote Originally Posted by taWRX90 View Post
    cv boot was replaced without a hitch

$11 boot and $9 for both clips, genuine subaru oem
    $2 grease from autozone

one note.
    recently replaced struts [less than one week] so I knew those bolts would be no issue. just those two bolts gave enough play to barely get the axle out, so save yourself a little hassle.

and yes, it was a certified mechanic who insisted on doing it that way and helped me do it. so i think its safe to do so that way
    As long as the bolts where marked before they where taken out than your camber shouldnt be off any ... There are soo many different ways to go about replacing this boot we could argue or discuss for days hahaha ...either way I'm glad you got it taken care of without issue

about that camber....
    we replaced the struts without marking um and and ended up eyeballing um to camber them as much as possible like this:

/-----\

...( laughing at myself and lack of automotive lingo )

just rotated um back and forth to figure it out from the movement and tension on the bolt.
    did the same after the cv boot replacement
    drives a damn straight line so not really rushing for that alignment yet.

...maybe after getting some camber bolts/plates for the back....

Quote Originally Posted by taWRX90 View Post
    about that camber....
    we replaced the struts without marking um and and ended up eyeballing um to camber them as much as possible like this:

/-----\

...( laughing at myself and lack of automotive lingo )

just rotated um back and forth to figure it out from the movement and tension on the bolt.
    did the same after the cv boot replacement
    drives a damn straight line so not really rushing for that alignment yet.

...maybe after getting some camber bolts/plates for the back....
    gotcha, keep an eye out for abnormal tire wear...