Symptoms of the Wastegate to loose

This is a discussion on Symptoms of the Wastegate to loose within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had my XPT stage 2 tune for a while now but i think i loosend too much I know ...

Symptoms of the Wastegate to loose

I had my XPT stage 2 tune for a while now but i think i loosend too much
    I know the directions say to tighten it 1-3 turns but after i turned it 2 turns i spiked to 19 so then i loosed it like 2 turns and now it hits target boost 17 ish but boost comes on slow and it just fells weak to me, but i think i chasing the MBC insta spool dragon. I never felt what the car felt like stock i got the car with a MBC and BOV so i have to detune it as good as i could be for i started to upgrade.
    Any advice i will be grateful for

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bump

I Support ClubWRX
    the xpt stage 2 map is not designed for your mbc. u have 2 options. get rid of the mbc, or get protuned with the mbc.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    the xpt stage 2 map is not designed for your mbc. u have 2 options. get rid of the mbc, or get protuned with the mbc.
    no u misunderstood me i removed the MBC and bov and put the car back to stock. I am now running the OEM BCS and BPV

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You basically answered your own question. An MBC is set to acheive full boost at all times. The stock BCS is used by the ECU to bring on whatever performance the tune requests of it, usually it is a gradual increase and tapering to a lower level by redline. You're used to the MBC (not safe unless tuned for), as long as you're hitting target boost and there aren't any huge performance problems, you're fine.

Want the MBC? Get a custom tune.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Or get a three port boost control solenoid - XPT can map you for that.

You should be adjusting the wastegate 1/2-1 turn at a time. I'd tighten it back one turn and see if it spikes.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Once again i am not asking about boost controller, i have exactly want Braden calls from for the map, but thank for that advice.

I am asking if my wastegate is too loose. Im trying to see if the symptoms might include boost building slowly, or a almost flutter feeling or sound at light throttle. Other than that i hit my target of between 16.5-17psi and hold it, it just seems to build as slow as stock my slower.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry - a 3-port BCS isn't anything to do with a manual boost controller. It is just a different style of boost control solenoid. Braden has maps for it too.

Your symptoms sound like it could be the wastegate pretension, however as you suspect in my case I wasn't able to hit my target boost when it was too loose (as with you the map required adjusting the wastegate). Like I said before give it a turn back tighter and see if it is better without the spiking.

Your deal kind of sounds more like an exhaust leak pre-turbo IMO, but it is obviously a guess without hearing the car.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Sorry - a 3-port BCS isn't anything to do with a manual boost controller. It is just a different style of boost control solenoid. Braden has maps for it too.
    I have hear good reviews about the 3 port stage 2 map and I plan on upgrading soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Your deal kind of sounds more like an exhaust leak pre-turbo IMO, but it is obviously a guess without hearing the car.
    This i do believe might just be my problem. All the signs are there now that you mention it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by baru-by-u View Post
    Once again i am not asking about boost controller, i have exactly want Braden calls from for the map, but thank for that advice.

I am asking if my wastegate is too loose. Im trying to see if the symptoms might include boost building slowly, or a almost flutter feeling or sound at light throttle. Other than that i hit my target of between 16.5-17psi and hold it, it just seems to build as slow as stock my slower.
    Yes it is too loose. You should have left it the way it was and just logged the car. Then sent the logs to Braden to adjust the wastegate duty cycle on the map to keep the spiking from happening.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Yes it is too loose. You should have left it the way it was and just logged the car. Then sent the logs to Braden to adjust the wastegate duty cycle on the map to keep the spiking from happening.
    Yea i know , i have already chalked it up to a stupid newb mistake. im gonna replace all my gaskets in the up and tighten the WG arm a couple 1/2 turn to see if i can dial it in until i get my comp back