BCM Computer or another computer shot?

This is a discussion on BCM Computer or another computer shot? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The car does not have any catalytic converts on the car. I installed a resistor so It would pass emissions. ...

BCM Computer or another computer shot?

The car does not have any catalytic converts on the car. I installed a resistor so It would pass emissions. Everything was fine for a few days and now there is an electric problem. The car does not start, Its getting .07 amps. Could the computer be shot or any suggestions. Random codes keep coming up on the dash for the exhaust. Nothing was there before installing this.

Ty
    N8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What model?

You installed a resistor in the up pipe's harness?

Where are you measuring current? With what?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    What is a BCM? And what codes do you have?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Its an 02 wrx. I dont have the exact details. I was intrested in buying this car but it did not pass emissions so I told him to get a sticker on it and we would talk. Now he ran into all these problems. I figured if I could get it pretty cheap it might be worth gambling on. $5500 he wants 145k. I could part the car out if worst comes to worst. New tires, rims, brakes upgraded turbo, intercooler the whole 9 yards.

bcm = body control module

I said he had a scanner that you hook up to the car he was using if that helps, if he cant get it fixed I was thinking of giving him around 3k. Its a really sharp car and runs excellent up 2 now, he had to install this resistor to pass emissions. Pisses me off b/c i really want the car and there nothing around for the price, let alone all parts that are on the car
    Last edited by n8n8n8; 07-22-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There's no reason for a resistor in the EGT wiring to fry a BCM (Body Control Modules are more of a Honda thing/CANBus vehicle thing), the ECM is the only module on that circuit that could concievably cause a problem. Where are you measuring this amperage, and what is it to and from? Most things we care about are in volts, not amperage. Amperage is regulated, voltage is typically 12 across the board with the exception of a few sensors that are designed to watch for voltage drop or increase.

What does the car do when you attempt to start it?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!