Anyone use the Gate's full timing belt kit before?

This is a discussion on Anyone use the Gate's full timing belt kit before? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm about to order the full Gate's timing belt kit which is 0 Includes the 4x pulleys, timing belt, tension ...

Anyone use the Gate's full timing belt kit before?

I'm about to order the full Gate's timing belt kit which is $300

Includes the 4x pulleys, timing belt, tension belt and water pump. I have heard nothing but good things about Gates. This appears to be quite the deal though. Any reason I should be wary of why it is so cheap? Supposedly the belt is about $150, tensioner $100, the pulleys can be up to $100 each.

Just would like to ask before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Gates is one hell of a good company in my mind. If it's true gates stuff, then I'd jump on the deal!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Palam7 View Post
    I'm about to order the full Gate's timing belt kit which is $300

Includes the 4x pulleys, timing belt, tension belt and water pump. I have heard nothing but good things about Gates. This appears to be quite the deal though. Any reason I should be wary of why it is so cheap? Supposedly the belt is about $150, tensioner $100, the pulleys can be up to $100 each.

Just would like to ask before I pull the trigger. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Gates is one hell of a good company in my mind. If it's true gates stuff, then I'd jump on the deal!
    Good deal indeed!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

ordered! I'm stoked.

I'm taking my car to metric performance tuning and he gave me a great quote! He was very surprised at the gate's price

I Support ClubWRX
    Does anybody know if the Gates belt in the kit is sold as a 105,000 mile belt, like the Subaru one (even if the Subaru is made by Gates for all I know)? Curious.

OP, thanks for making this thread, it will help many people I'm sure -- me for sure.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

says it's made to oem standards so I would think

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merch...GATE-TCKWP328A

I have this kit on my car now. It is very good. The one thing I did not like was the gasket for the water pump was really thin and wimpy looking.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK that's good info too. You've not had a leak at the pump gasket though right?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hmm, I happen to have an extra water pump. Maybe I'll use that

what engine is it for that www.oakos sells? 2.0L or 2.5L?

i have only found the complete set from 440-500 dollars and would like to save little $
    Last edited by Davitos; 07-24-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    OK that's good info too. You've not had a leak at the pump gasket though right?
    I ended up just reusing my old water pump gasket. No leaks and I don't think I will get any. Hopefully
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Davitos View Post
    what engine is it for that www.oakos sells? 2.0L or 2.5L?

i have only found the complete set from 440-500 dollars and would like to save little $
    didn't the 02 only come in a 2.0?

You get a better price when you buy the whole kit. Heck, Advance told me they would have to factory direct the kit for $400 big ones. I've still got some sticker shock. I'm sitting on 130k with what I believe is the factory T-Belt. So I need to do the chore as well. Has anyone heard anything negative about the Greddy belts? And I was under the impression that the '02 only came with the 2.0 as well.

Oh and I found this on Ebay. It's $239.w/shipping. Any opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
    '03 WRX (Blue) COBB AP Stage 2 SPT Intake TBE
    Blitz BOV / 17" Enkie RSV's (Gold)
    ProDrive Coilovers and much more to come...

i asked one dealer on ebay with the same or really close photo and almost same price.

he said it is:
    This is the replacement after market from Taiwan. The belt from ITM Inc.
    Thanks anyway
    David
    Owned:
    WRX Euro MY05 , 2.0L mostly stock, 13.825@95.95
    Pre owned:
    Impreza GT/WRX MY00 2.0L in 1440kg with widebody mod ,250-270 whp , 13.389@102.74 mph 1/4.