Mysterious Noise --- Please help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Mysterious Noise --- Please help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I have a '08 wrx and I have noise that occurs intermittently. It's like a ticking noise and the ...

Mysterious Noise --- Please help!

Hi,

I have a '08 wrx and I have noise that occurs intermittently. It's like a ticking noise and the frequency increases as I increase my speed and vice versa. It also occurs when I am parked and the car is in neutral. The only time the noise goes away is when I press the clutch in. And then when I let go of the clutch, it starts again. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it, I've got the dealership stumped and I'm tired of going through them. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

When you say it increases as you increase your speed, I assume you mean RPM since you also say it happens when you're parked.

Sounds like normal valve noise to me. As long as it's a light ticking, it's just an annoyance. The reason it probably goes away when you push the clutch in is because the load on the engine is slightly less when it only has to turn the driveshaft and not push the car. It probably also gets very slightly louder when you have load on the engine.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.