Lights Dim
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Lights Dim within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Every time i put my windows up and down my lights dim. Also, if i put more then one windows ...

Lights Dim

Every time i put my windows up and down my lights dim. Also, if i put more then one windows up or down at the time the windows slow down and the lights get really dim. I am thinking battery alternator or a connection some where. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by johnbmackin View Post
    Every time i put my windows up and down my lights dim. Also, if i put more then one windows up or down at the time the windows slow down and the lights get really dim. I am thinking battery alternator or a connection some where. What do you guys think?

Your on the right track, load test the battery, and check alternator output first, these are the first two steps of a lot of electrical troubleshooting problems. How many miles are on the car? What year? model?

my 2010 does this.. no noticeable light dimming.. but the windows drastically slow down when moving more than one at a time. Boils down to oem electrical systems that are only just adequate to handle the basic vehicle needs and nothing more. Especially at Idle.

I second having your battery load tested though.. even better, pop it out of the car and have them test it independently.

Also remember, that at a Idle you're alternator is not producing full voltage/amperage. So that coupled with a possibly weak battery.. yep, def get the symptoms you're seeing.

Do you by chance have a healthy sound system in the car?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

A third vote for testing the battery. How old is it? Sounds like it's starting to go.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I suspect alternator. Does it do it when the engine is both off and on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Problems solved,
    The battery needed to be replaced. My lights no longer get dimmer when i put the windows up. But, if i do multiple windows is slows downs a tiny amount but i am happy with this because the car is an 02' WRX that i bought when they originally launched years ago so i know its not gonna be perfect.
    Thanks guys for all of your help, i am glad i know where i can turn to when i got a car question.

good stuff!! Always nice to see problems remedied with simple solutions
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    good stuff!! Always nice to see problems remedied with simple solutions :d
    +1^

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.