02 WRX engine sputters/chokes passing through 4500 RPMs

This is a discussion on 02 WRX engine sputters/chokes passing through 4500 RPMs within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me with this. I have an 02 wrx that hesitates/chokes at about 4500-5000 ...

02 WRX engine sputters/chokes passing through 4500 RPMs

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me with this. I have an 02 wrx that hesitates/chokes at about 4500-5000 rpms in any gear. It lasts about a second but it bucks pretty hard, feels like it is not getting enough fuel, and then it revs fine all the way past that. 02 sensor was just replaced, spark plugs are fine, fuel filter is clean, fuel pressure is fine at idle. The turbo is also fine, and replaced air filter and tried driving without downpipe on. Nothing seems to fix it.

I did some searching and saw the coil packs as a possibility, as well as the fuel pump at higher rpms. Originally took it to mechanic for running lean CEL, but CEL is not on now and doesn't seem to be related to the choking at 4500rpm. I have done some searching so if I missed an obvious response to this please forgive me.

Thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You took off the downpipe and just drove it like that? I'm not sure how you thought that would help figure things out... It just introduces more possible problems.

I'd start with getting an OBD reader and seeing what codes it has. I'd check the plugs too for fouling. There's a lot of other possibilities, too many to list.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You took off the downpipe and just drove it like that? I'm not sure how you thought that would help figure things out... It just introduces more possible problems.

I'd start with getting an OBD reader and seeing what codes it has. I'd check the plugs too for fouling. There's a lot of other possibilities, too many to list.
    I think I meant up-pipe, whichever one has the first cat in it. I didn't do it myself the mechanic did it because he suspected the cat was restricting the flow. The plugs were not fouled either.

Quote Originally Posted by biglebowski565 View Post
    I think I meant up-pipe, whichever one has the first cat in it. I didn't do it myself the mechanic did it because he suspected the cat was restricting the flow. The plugs were not fouled either.
    I doubt it was the uppipe. The car wouldn't run right without that for sure. It was probably the downpipe.

I would get the codes to start with. Too little information to go on right now.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I may be reading it wrong, but didn't he say that the CEL wasn't on now? I had a similar problem with my car, and it was related to the AVCS system...I don't know if the 02 cars have had any problems with them, but its worth doing some research.

Quote Originally Posted by STi-Guy85 View Post
    I may be reading it wrong, but didn't he say that the CEL wasn't on now? I had a similar problem with my car, and it was related to the AVCS system...I don't know if the 02 cars have had any problems with them, but its worth doing some research.
    OK thanks for the help, I lost my internet for a while changing ISPs. The goes off after they reflash the ECU but returns pretty quickly. It did go off on its own for about a day but came back on. It's been on consistently for about 8 days, haven't had time to get it looked at.

The 02-05 WRX's do not have AVCS.

Here's a diagram of the exhaust.

I think you mean they are clearing the codes (not "reflashing").
    If the codes are coming back after clearing them then that means something is wrong. Either a sensor is bad or there is an actual problem.

Get codes, and post them here.