A/C hose blew and im burning up

This is a discussion on A/C hose blew and im burning up within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Driving uphill going through the oregon desert an my a/c's main high pressure hose blew... im going to west wyoming ...

A/C hose blew and im burning up

Driving uphill going through the oregon desert an my a/c's main high pressure hose blew... im going to west wyoming (jackson hole) and i need to get it repaired and recharged ASAP... anyone have any idea or suggestions for me? Im on a budget a im on vacation
    Last edited by d_Ziggy_2000; 07-18-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well believe it or not a leaking AC high side line ( the line that connects the condenser to the compressor) is somewhat of a common occurrence on Subarus in general, most dealerships (at least the one I work at out here in PA ) stock the high side hoses, on most Subarus its a 12mm bolt both at the compressor and the condenser... If your 100% sure that there is no r134 left in the system pop the line off, install the new one, and just pay a shop to recharge for you...How do you know the high side line is the culprit?

There is a large hole in the side of it and the entire top inside of the engine was green but no other line was green at all... i know for sure that is the problem... dont the lines have to be vaccumed? Or did i read that about something else?

I Support ClubWRX
    The hose is easy to find. The system will have been exposed to atmosphere since you're replacing the hose, so you will need to have someone pull a vacuum for a while before recharging.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

What kind of places will do that though? Dealerships charge outragous amounts and id rather not do that

I Support ClubWRX
    Any A/C repair shop will do it correctly.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I went without a ac all summer tell yesterday, i didn't want to pay 250 bucks for a new line so i took it to a local guy who repairs them. He brazed aluminum over the part were my old top mount had rubbed a hole in the line for 15 bucks! I got it pressure tested and recharged and it works perfect!!! I would say if you think it's repairable like that, call around and find someone.
    Good luck i know it sucks!
    Blobeye Syndicate #505

He recharged it and all for 15?! That does help actually! Haha hopefully there are people that can do it in the middle of wyoming

I Support ClubWRX
    A hose place can use metal to eliminate the area of the existing hose that has a hole in it, for very little money. You will then have a hose that holds pressure for now -- with two extra fittings where metal meets rubber and knowing that the hose failed once already.

You will then have to re-fit the hose and as said above find an A/C shop to pull a vacuum and recharge the system.

So i decided to bear it because the hose is rediculously expensive and nothing really seems to be out here... hmm... mythbusters proved duct tape is amazingly strong... lmao

Quote Originally Posted by d_Ziggy_2000 View Post
    .. hmm... mythbusters proved duct tape is amazingly strong... lmao