A real stupid question :-)

This is a discussion on A real stupid question :-) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi and thank you for your reply and welcome, The problem IMO is that I dont think that those almost ...

A real stupid question :-)

Hi and thank you for your reply and welcome,

The problem IMO is that I dont think that those almost blocked rear wheels are standard, I feel it is too much friction for a visco LS Diff. I cant describe it exactly in torque units, but I will.

cheers
    blob
    Last edited by Blob; 07-15-2010 at 11:22 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Any diff will generate friction, even an entirely open diff. On the Impreza no wheel should spin entirely freely. You have not described a problem IMO. Unless you hear noise back there or you drain the fluid and find shards I'd not worry.

EDIT: Oh, and well thought, clearly expressed questions aren't stupid. Enjoy the forum and as you are doing the maintenance, look for the sticky threads in each section that may have info you need. Also click the link in my signature, it has a post with other links with lots and lots of Impreza info. Welcome.

SD
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-15-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Problem

Hi and thank you for your reply and welcome,

The problem IMO is that I dont think that those almost blocked rear wheels are standard, I feel it is too much friction for a visco LS Diff. I cant describe it exactly in torque units, but I will.

cheers
    blob

I Support ClubWRX
    OK so you think it's binding? Is the handbrake disengaged fully (the handbrake is a sort of internal mini-drum that acts independently of the discs)? Is the car out of gear? Most importantly, did the car drive OK before you noticed all this (since we're not both looking at the car this is the best I can get in terms of figuring out whether the resistance you feel is normal)?

I'm still betting "normal" from here.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    OK so you think it's binding? Is the handbrake disengaged fully (the handbrake is a sort of internal mini-drum that acts independently of the discs)? Is the car out of gear? Most importantly, did the car drive OK before you noticed all this (since we're not both looking at the car this is the best I can get in terms of figuring out whether the resistance you feel is normal)?

I'm still betting "normal" from here.
    Hi, here is how it is, car jacked, gear and handbrake disengaged, the front wheels turn freely, the driver's rear wheel turns with a bit of friction but definitely not as smooth as the front wheels. The rear right wheel is almost blocked and needs real force to turn. The handbrake drums are losened entirely. No noises from the rear or front diff when turning any wheel, doesnt this sound odd?

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't envision why that would be. One way to test is to put the car back together, drive it around both right and left turns for a while, then lift it again and see if the situation has changed.