question about oil

This is a discussion on question about oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; now this may be a stupid question but does the turbo use its own oil resivoir? if so where is ...

question about oil

now this may be a stupid question but does the turbo use its own oil resivoir? if so where is it located and what do brand of oil is used. and if not does that mean that it just uses the regular oil from the engine?

also what would be the best engine oil for a stock 2002 wrx?

pictures would be great ive tried to google it but i didnt really find anything that answered my questions.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A regular oil change takes care of your turbo, no it does not have its own reservoir
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

ok awesome thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by kylea1 View Post
    now this may be a stupid question but does the turbo use its own oil resivoir? if so where is it located and what do brand of oil is used. and if not does that mean that it just uses the regular oil from the engine?

also what would be the best engine oil for a stock 2002 wrx?

pictures would be great ive tried to google it but i didnt really find anything that answered my questions.

thanks
    I use Mobil 1 Synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter. Not to sure what the "best" is.

also what viscosity like in my old car i used 5w-30 what should i use in this?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    5W-30 is recommended by the factory. I tend to use 10W-30 in the summer and 5W-30 in the winter though, our temperatures vary rather greatly here.

The choice is completely yours on what grade and what brand to use. There are literally dozens of threads about this, so my recommendation to you is to search before creating a new thread about things. You need to do some research before making a decision, and yes it is a decision and it is yours alone on what to do with your vehicle. We can only advise.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

ok will do. sorry about creating the extra threads. and thanks for your help

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kylea1 View Post
    ok will do. sorry about creating the extra threads. and thanks for your help
    It's what we're here for mang. No worries.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

cool thanks i just got an 02 subaru wrx so im trying to do everything right and i dont want to mess it up ha

Just on this note, I recently put conventional to save some $$ because everyone I've talked to said conventional is the same as synthetic unless you're trying to extend your oil changes.

However, I noticed quite a difference in accelleration, especially within 10 minutes of startup. It seemed to take so long to warm the oil up to the same viscocity that synthetic has right at cold start. The result was slower spool up time, unless I purposely reved up the engine a few times to get the oil hot.

I'll be going back to Mobil 1 on my next change.