first oil change complete...reactions & opinions

This is a discussion on first oil change complete...reactions & opinions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well, first oil change done! boy, it was certainly harder than it should have been. the clips that hold the ...

first oil change complete...reactions & opinions

well, first oil change done! boy, it was certainly harder than it should have been.

the clips that hold the engine undercover to the wheel well are serious *****es to get off. i broke one, only about $2 to replace it

the tech at the factory who put the oil filter must have been on a serious Jose Canseco roid rage when he put it on, because I couldnt get it off without blowing a hole in the side of it with a screwdriver and a hammer

4+ quarts of mobil one later and she was ready to go again

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1392.jpg   IMG_1391.jpg   IMG_1388.jpg  
    Last edited by dbya rx; 07-09-2010 at 02:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah, the first oil change ...

I recall no issue with my first filter removal, but the drain plug had no crush washer. Luckily it did not leak.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I love Fumoto valves.

I have never bought a car or SUV and had the oil filter come off the first time without gorilla power. I've used everything from a strap wrench with a rubber strap to channel locks. Ridiculous.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    the tech at the factory who put the oil filter must have been on a serious Jose Canseco roid rage when he put it on
    looks like you enjoyed your first oil change. congrats.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Holy crap that person must have been pissed off at something! I had a similar experience but luckily it was a K&N filter and had the 1" bolt that made it easy to take off even though it was on real tight.

I Support ClubWRX
    The bolt on the K&Ns is a great idea too. I usually just grab the filter and twist it off and am already disappointed if I have to use a tool. When it's stuck and I have to use more than one tool I'm on my way to needing sedatives.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have had to use the good old screwdriver trick as well. PITA when it gets stuck.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

it's always a pain when that happens. But I went and bought myself a pair of oil filter channel locks. and they're worth every penny. and are a serious cure for filter related head aches.
    "if you are going to tell someone the truth you had better make them laugh otherwise they'll kill you" - George Bernard Shaw.
    Bugeye Mafia #214
    Dirty Crew #42

Quote Originally Posted by Tinywagon View Post
    it's always a pain when that happens. But I went and bought myself a pair of oil filter channel locks. and they're worth every penny. and are a serious cure for filter related head aches.
    +1. Best solution I've found.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

just for fun, i thought i would contribute here, because when i was changing the oil on my new 2012 WRX for the first time this evening, i found the same problem that someone felt inclined to glue my filter on. i kid, but it really would not come off with any typical filter wrench, they either slipped across the surface (and yes, they were the correct sizes), or began to crush the filter. I'd never used one of these but in an act of desperation to get that guy off, I bought one for 6 bucks and it spun the filter right off. it made a dent in the side where the metal tube pushes against the filter, but i swear this thing worked better than any filter wrench i've used in the past at getting off a really stubborn one.

OEM/Strap oil filter wrench (25079) | Oil Filter Wrench | AutoZone.com
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee