oil leaking :( from where?

This is a discussion on oil leaking :( from where? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I cant get my car on jacks tonight, but i looked under my car and i have a slow drip ...

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX

oil leaking :( from where?

I cant get my car on jacks tonight, but i looked under my car and i have a slow drip coming from around the oil pan. As i cant get under it tonight, im not sure if its not the oil pan. If its not, where could it drip to make its way onto the oil pan?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Just about everywhere unfortunately. Trace the drip up the oil pan to it's place of origin. If it's on the sides, valve cover gaskets may have taken a crap, if it's in the rear, it could be a rear main, front could be camshaft seals which would be a real problem because oil can and will deteriorate the timing belt.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    well i just had my rear main replaced not even 6 months ago, so hopefully thats not it.
    I think its on the backside of the oil, toward the rear of the car, or on the sides... i will go see what i can in the dark.

Edit:
    Alright so Its on the back side of the oil pan. The back oil pan bolts are wet with oil, and so are the bolts that are on the steel metal bracket that connect the frames. (the bracket right under the steering stuff).

If the valve covers are where i think, above the spark plugs, then thats dry.
    Last edited by yamaha_rider619; 07-08-2010 at 08:57 PM.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    The simplest answer is the oil drain plug crush washer. When this leaks the oil tends to smear and spread toward the back as the air pressure forces it backward when the car moves at speed.

After that the options get more complex. This stuff happens though, so when you have enough light and can safely have a very close look, see what you can find.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    i dont have a washer on my oil bolt, but the bolt is tight, and not over tightened. I think it is a leak somewhere else.

I looked at what i can find, and thats all the information i have.
    Last edited by yamaha_rider619; 07-08-2010 at 09:17 PM.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    i dont have a washer on my oil bolt, but the bolt is tight, and not over tightened. I think it is a leak somewhere else.

I looked at what i can find, and thats all the information i have.

The previous poster that mentioned the oil drain plug possibly being a source of an oil leak was right on the money.

I change my own oil on my 05 wrx. I have had to add about a 1/2 to a full quart of oil every 2 weeks or so. I thought I was using oil since I drive my car kinda hard. ( it is fun to drive ya know ).

I have a nice wet spot on my garage floor......oil mixed with a/c water condensation. I originally thought this was all water, until I felt how oily it was.

Then I got underneath the car and saw the problem right away. My drain plug had a small drip. The leak was probably greater when the oil pressure was high while driving.

I recall having a crush washer on my drain plug. So I got my rachet set out, my 17mm socket and a pipe I use for extra torque leverage......sure enough, the drain plug needed more torquing down on the plug bolt. I'm going to check periodically and see if that solved my leak problem.

If you dont have a crush washer, maybe you should consider adding one to your drain bolt. That might just solve your problem, or at least eliminate that from the list.
    05 WRX white/black
    Mods : Cobb Accessport Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The simplest answer is the oil drain plug crush washer. When this leaks the oil tends to smear and spread toward the back as the air pressure forces it backward when the car moves at speed.

After that the options get more complex. This stuff happens though, so when you have enough light and can safely have a very close look, see what you can find.
    Excellent and valuable information. Thanks.
    05 WRX white/black
    Mods : Cobb Accessport Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by mrsincere View Post

I recall having a crush washer on my drain plug. So I got my rachet set out, my 17mm socket and a pipe I use for extra torque leverage......sure enough, the drain plug needed more .

Be careful, I have seen many, many stripped oil pans...the torque spec is only like 30 ft lbs...