Multiple ??'s, Mutliple Problems.....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Multiple ??'s, Mutliple Problems..... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone! New to the site, but have used it plenty to help diagnose problem after problem, but still have ...

Angry Multiple ??'s, Mutliple Problems.....

Hey everyone! New to the site, but have used it plenty to help diagnose problem after problem, but still have questions.

Bought an 03 WRX in 2008, and it seems like everything keeps breaking! Car has approx. 125k miles and is manual. I know for a fact it is not completely stock, but don't know everything that has been changed.

Service history so far....
    New Alternator Dec 08 (crapped out 2000 miles after purchase)
    New Radiator Feb 10
    New Spark Plugs this month
    New Tires last month

Questions I have:
    Where exactly is the Air Fuel Sensor for CEL P0031? I've found 3 different answers.

Does the WRX tend to bounce a lot while driving? Whenever I hit a bump the back end bounces for a good while and the car seems rough when hitting any bump. ( I know springs are aftermarket, not sure about struts)

I'm assuming the loud noise coming from under the car by the exhaust pipe is a cracked pipe. True?

Car has a ton of vibration when I shift into 5th gear above 55 mph, not so much if I shift at 45 mph. But can become noticeable when I reach 70+ mph. Could this be a tranny issue?

There is a severe pulsation when I brake under 40 mph. Assuming I need new brakes. Do I need to change rotors as well?

When the AC is on, hear a quick belt sqeak when I let off the gas. Is this common since there isn't tortion on the belt at that time?

--------------------------------------------------

I'm sure I'm missing something, but answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. I can provide pics if needed as well. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the front 02 / AF Sensor is located in the header behind the P/S tire/wheel well. If the springs are aftermarket they will almost surely make for a tad of a harsher ride, however you can inspect the struts to make sure they arent leaking or damaged... Does it sound like an exhaust leak? what kind of noise are you hearing? The vibration could be anything, Personally I would check the entire suspension/steering system on this one as well as the tires..do you get the vibration when the car is out of gear at 70 mph? as mentioned this could be anything from a bad tie rod to a cupped tire.... As for the pulsation under braking...are you getting the vibration in the steering wheel? or do you feel the vibration in the bottom/back of the seat?...It sounds like your rotors are warped, if they are within spec and in decent condition they might be able to be machined, however personally if it was my car at 125k miles I would most likely replace them either way....inspect the pads when you do this if they are over like 60% life remaining I would leave the pads alone... There is always tension on the AC belt even when the compressor is off....check the condition and tension of both of your drive belts...for every foot of free span there should be about a half inch of deflection....

Thanks for getting back. It is an exhaust sound and I'm almost certain the pipe is cracked. Looked underneath at the muffler and saw it was held up by a wire that's rusted through.... No bracket, nothing. Only wire.

As for suspension, I haven't noticed leaks and the dealership has said it's ok, but I've personally never had a car that was as bumpy a ride as this one. It's usually loud thuds, on very minor bumbs. Pot holes and the like I understand it's going to be rough.

Tires are brand new, but I know the right rear is at more of a negative camber then the rest.

I don't notice the vibration when out of gear at 70. Only acceleration from 60 mph and up. Double checked this afternoon. Even when I shift at 45, when I get to 60ish, I start to notice the vibration.

And the vibration when braking is in the wheel as well as pedal. I know the pedal is from ABS.

And yes, I understand the belt is always in tension. Should've said it differently. Dealer installed belt after alternator went out, (both belts replaced within a month of each other.) squeak is just a quick sound that occurs when I let off gas.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    the front 02 / AF Sensor is located in the header behind the P/S tire/wheel well. If the springs are aftermarket they will almost surely make for a tad of a harsher ride, however you can inspect the struts to make sure they arent leaking or damaged... Does it sound like an exhaust leak? what kind of noise are you hearing? The vibration could be anything, Personally I would check the entire suspension/steering system on this one as well as the tires..do you get the vibration when the car is out of gear at 70 mph? as mentioned this could be anything from a bad tie rod to a cupped tire.... As for the pulsation under braking...are you getting the vibration in the steering wheel? or do you feel the vibration in the bottom/back of the seat?...It sounds like your rotors are warped, if they are within spec and in decent condition they might be able to be machined, however personally if it was my car at 125k miles I would most likely replace them either way....inspect the pads when you do this if they are over like 60% life remaining I would leave the pads alone... There is always tension on the AC belt even when the compressor is off....check the condition and tension of both of your drive belts...for every foot of free span there should be about a half inch of deflection....
    ^^ Subaru Tech, btw

...AND.. he owns one bad-ass 2002 WRX hybrid ANIMAL!!! lol
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    ^^ Subaru Tech, btw

...AND.. he owns one bad-ass 2002 WRX hybrid ANIMAL!!! lol
    HAHA, Thanks man! LOVE the pic, I saw toy story 3 the other day...

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrev8 View Post
    Thanks for getting back. It is an exhaust sound and I'm almost certain the pipe is cracked. Looked underneath at the muffler and saw it was held up by a wire that's rusted through.... No bracket, nothing. Only wire.

As for suspension, I haven't noticed leaks and the dealership has said it's ok, but I've personally never had a car that was as bumpy a ride as this one. It's usually loud thuds, on very minor bumbs. Pot holes and the like I understand it's going to be rough.

Tires are brand new, but I know the right rear is at more of a negative camber then the rest.

I don't notice the vibration when out of gear at 70. Only acceleration from 60 mph and up. Double checked this afternoon. Even when I shift at 45, when I get to 60ish, I start to notice the vibration.

And the vibration when braking is in the wheel as well as pedal. I know the pedal is from ABS.

And yes, I understand the belt is always in tension. Should've said it differently. Dealer installed belt after alternator went out, (both belts replaced within a month of each other.) squeak is just a quick sound that occurs when I let off gas.
    Its not really very likely it would throw a CEL due to location of the leak however I would prob be repairing/replacing the exhaust before I went ahead and put an o2 sensor in it... The belts stretch as they wear in so there is a chance if they where replaced recently that you might get a noise from them loosening up a tad... As mentioned, for the vibration while driving at 70, check the entire steering system,make sure a rim isnt slightly tweaked and make sure the tires arent cupped...Are the tires you have on the vehicle rotational? Also of course make sure your tire pressures are up to spec... Is there any noise associated with the vibration?

what radiator did you go with when you replaced it?

My radiator crapped out and i'm looking to get a new one. what'd you go with?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.