02 WRX frame damage-worth fixing?

This is a discussion on 02 WRX frame damage-worth fixing? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys and gals, my uncle has an 02 WRX that some kid gave to him because he hit a ...

Registered User brendancfarrell's Avatar

02 WRX frame damage-worth fixing?

Hey guys and gals, my uncle has an 02 WRX that some kid gave to him because he hit a pole and owes money on it. My uncle offered it to me for 3 grand. The front right side part of the frame is crinkled a little bit and i was wondering if A.) this is a good price and B.) should i fix it myself. All i think i need to do is heat up the crinkle and pull it out with a puller. recommendations and suggestions would be awesome! sorry the photos so big

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    #1. That rail is wasted.

#2. Never heat something to pull it. It fatigues the metal on a molecular level, and it will be extremely weak after that. Always cold pull a car.

#3. It's hard to determine the cars worth without more pictures of the car and damage, and detail on the car.

1.) can I find/buy another rail to put on?
    2.) I would reenforce it with more metal if I heated it.
    3.) it's got 70k miles on it. it runs and drives fine, but right now I need to adjust the timing belt because it was taken off to start cutting away some metal. the hood has minor dents in it from the pole but can easily be bumped out. the tranny and motor are in exellent shape as well

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancfarrell View Post
    1.) can I find/buy another rail to put on?
    2.) I would reenforce it with more metal if I heated it.
    3.) it's got 70k miles on it. it runs and drives fine, but right now I need to adjust the timing belt because it was taken off to start cutting away some metal. the hood has minor dents in it from the pole but can easily be bumped out. the tranny and motor are in exellent shape as well
    If you want to fix it like a ghetto ride, by all means go ahead. You'll get little support here. If you want to fix it for real, it's not that easy.

It's easier to weld in a new section of rail then to try to reinforce the old one. If you don't have a frame machine, or frame and body experience, you can forget any of it. This isn't a hit for the DIY shade tree mechanic.

Forget fixing the hood correctly, it's aluminum.

If the timing belt is off, odds are it was knocked off in the accident and the valves are bent. It's a common occurrence.

It sounds to me like your Uncle doesn't like you.

+1 to everything 'Rex said. All good advice.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

@ 'Rex, my uncle works on frames for a living so we got all the tools and experience to work on it. I was just wonderin if it was worth a fix and what kinda fix to do. I totally understand what your saying. and I'd rather not ghetto rig it but my local junkyard doesn't have wrx's, so I'd have to order a new rail. my other problem is the timing belt. it's currently off right now but I'm not sure if the heads are damaged from the accident. I'm just hopin this isn't gonna be a waste a time and money

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't see the pic at work, but assuming the rail is bent, the U shaped Engine subframe could be bent as well. So without seeing the pic I'd bet you'd need: 1. New inner and outer "rail pieces" They are sheet metal sections available from subaru. 2. New headlight metal bracket('s). Again Subi parts dept 3. New Rad support 4. New hood 5. New undertray 6. New bumper rebar 7. New bumper mounts 8. New light (s) 9. New fender(s) and inner fender (s) 10. New bumper skin 11. new grill 12. New Radiator 13. New condenser 14. New fan 15. New timing belt cover's both front and back 16. New hoses 17. New water pump 18. New belts 19. New pulleys 20. Paint If nothing is wrong with the engine, you are into it for $5000 in parts and paint alone. If the car keeps a clean title, then your resale value on an 02 wrx is somewhere like $7k-$9k. So figure if your uncle gets it to you for $3000 most likely= $3000+$5000+labor=$8000+labor If there's motor problems add another $2500-$4000. So ultimately IMO its not worth it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I can't see the pic at work, but assuming the rail is bent, the U shaped Engine subframe could be bent as well. So without seeing the pic I'd bet you'd need: 1. New inner and outer "rail pieces" They are sheet metal sections available from subaru. 2. New headlight metal bracket('s). Again Subi parts dept 3. New Rad support 4. New hood 5. New undertray 6. New bumper rebar 7. New bumper mounts 8. New light (s) 9. New fender(s) and inner fender (s) 10. New bumper skin 11. new grill 12. New Radiator 13. New condenser 14. New fan 15. New timing belt cover's both front and back 16. New hoses 17. New water pump 18. New belts 19. New pulleys 20. Paint If nothing is wrong with the engine, you are into it for $5000 in parts and paint alone. If the car keeps a clean title, then your resale value on an 02 wrx is somewhere like $7k-$9k. So figure if your uncle gets it to you for $3000 most likely= $3000+$5000+labor=$8000+labor If there's motor problems add another $2500-$4000. So ultimately IMO its not worth it.
    well the kid that hit the pole somehow did not damage anything such as the radiator or fans or nothing. the rail will need replacing. the bumper has a small tear in it so that's not a big deal. the hood just has dents in it. the only visible problems are, the rail and the timing belt. the belt was on and it was turnig over but we didn't want to have it run until we put it back in time. also, my uncle and grandfather( who builds cars for fun) and I will be doing all the work. so labor isn't a factor just the parts. I am excited to get this car cause it's my dream car but I really don't wanna dump 10k into and end up losing it all

actually, if you look at my avatar, that's the motor to this WRX. it looks to be fine and in great shape

I Support ClubWRX
    You may find out after getting a new hood that the rad support is bent and your hood wont latch. From your pic in the avatar the motor looks either crooked or the Radiator support is bent and the kid pulled it out half ass.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    You may find out after getting a new hood that the rad support is bent and your hood wont latch. From your pic in the avatar the motor looks either crooked or the Radiator support is bent and the kid pulled it out half ass.
    the rad was pulled and the support was cut off by my grandfather so he could get into the rail that way. i wasnt even thinkin bout gettin a new hood cause i can just bump it out and fix it myself.

here are some pics i have that are on my facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=e094078db4

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancfarrell View Post
    the rad was pulled and the support was cut off by my grandfather so he could get into the rail that way. i wasnt even thinkin bout gettin a new hood cause i can just bump it out and fix it myself.

here are some pics i have that are on my facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=e094078db4

Oh yeah I just checked, you'll need everything I stated and then some. Easy $5000 in parts, not to mention you had airbag deployment. If you fix it right and not rig it, you'll be into that car an easy $8000, I'd bet closer to $10,000 to do it right not counting labor. And frankly you'll never get your money out of it. And if the motor is toast....

On the hood, personally I'd buy a new one and get a new latch. Having your hood fly open isnt fun, or funny.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

so basically this car is totaled. but i really want this car so I may just say the hell with it and rig it. aslong as it runs and drives, I don't car to much about the appearance. paying for school and this car is not going to happen so any exterior work can wait. I'm gonna see what I can do with what I have tomorrow or the next day. I'll post what happens and if I give up haha
    Last edited by brendancfarrell; 07-07-2010 at 05:29 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Put the timing belt on and try to get the motor running right first. Because if that is hosed its def not worth it. Personally I wouldn't waste the time. A dismantler would pay $1000-$1500 for that car as it sits.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE