03 WRX 2.0L wagon overheating issue. Any help?

This is a discussion on 03 WRX 2.0L wagon overheating issue. Any help? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Several issues to address: Belt that runs my ac compressor is off the pulley but dont know if it effected ...

Exclamation 03 WRX 2.0L wagon overheating issue. Any help?

Several issues to address: Belt that runs my ac compressor is off the pulley but dont know if it effected the cooling issue. Was driving yesterday and temp gauge began to rise towards the top. Pulled over and the radiator overflow was blowing coolant out. I let it cool off and the temperature fell. Any suggestions on what might be the problem. As far as my knowledge goes, I believe it could have been a sticky thermostat, air bubble or block in the cooling system. The water pump was not leaking fluid so I think that is in good shape. Could the belt that runs the AC be effecting anything with the cooling system?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the car?

Also have you worked on the car recently?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Coolant was pouring out of the overflow or the surge tank? First things first..make sure the car is full of coolant, start the car and see if the fans are cycling and if they are make sure they are blowing hot air. Also if you have the means do a cooling system pressure test. From what you are mentioning it sounds to me like a stuck thermostat or a clogged radiator. How many miles are on the vehicle? The AC belt not being existent should not have any affect really on the engine cooling system....

Cool

The car has 88,000 miles on it. I figured it would be the thermostat or a blockage in the coolant system. I'm planning on removing the thermostat later tonight to check and see if that is the problem...then flushing the coolant system. Thanks for helping reassure my first predictions.