Clutch or Transmission?

This is a discussion on Clutch or Transmission? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Last night a friend and I went out and he wanted to see what my wrx was possible of. On ...

Clutch or Transmission?

Last night a friend and I went out and he wanted to see what my wrx was possible of. On a back road with no one on it I missed 1 2 shift (a little short) and then 2 3 I started giving the car gas were the clutch usually engages but it red lined and clutch didnt engage till the pedal was almost fully released which it normally engaged at about 3 inches off the floor.

5 minutes later we got stuck in traffic and getting the car to go anywhere was not easy. I have to feather the gas and it took the clutch probably 10 seconds to engage. Then when Id release the clutch it would take 10 seconds to actually dis engaged, the motor would just stay at high RPM's.

Car is a 2010 with 1458 miles. Take it in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like you glazed your clutch.

You need to learn how to drive.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Yep.. that would be the clutch.. check the clutch fluid level and or the cable.. hopefully you only popped a hose or something and the fluid is low otherwise new clutch it is
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    sounds like you glazed your clutch.

You need to learn how to drive.
    +1
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I didnt come here to be told to learn how to drive it this is my first stick so a little breathing room would be nice.

Anyways. I drove the car to work today 9 miles one way. The car drove well, the clutch is still loose feeling compared to before but it was at least engaging and disengaging correctly.

BTW i wish my dad (retired drag racer) would teach me how to drive the car but he tells me Ill eventually learn what to do. Altho, the double clutch **** isnt something im just going to experiment with.

When I take my WRX in can I ask for them to up the clutch to a better performing one and float them the difference?

thanks for the replies!
    Last edited by WRXXXAction; 07-03-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXXXAction View Post
    I didnt come here to be told to learn how to drive it this is my first stick so a little breathing room would be nice.

Anyways. I drove the car to work today 9 miles one way. The car drove well, the clutch is still loose feeling compared to before but it was at least engaging and disengaging correctly.

BTW i wish my dad (retired drag racer) would teach me how to drive the car but he tells me Ill eventually learn what to do. Altho, the double clutch **** isnt something im just going to experiment with.

When I take my WRX in can I ask for them to up the clutch to a better performing one and float them the difference?

thanks for the replies!
    Considering its most likely under warranty they will ( if they do decide to replace the clutch) put in the minimum amount of parts possible and use OEM only, If you would like a performance clutch installed it would most likely void part of the warranty. double clutching and clutchless shifting arent to hard to get the hang of, but as mentioned make sure your pretty decent at driving standard in the first place before attempting these...also it doesnt hurt to somewhat understand whats going on in the powertrain/drivetrain as you clutch in and out...

I Support ClubWRX

thanks for the replies!
    Don't take it in to subaru. If it's a glazed clutch (which if it's starting to come back ... it is) then it'll just have to break back in. Unless you really glazed the hell out of it. That's the advantage of an organic clutch.

I wasn't being an ass... but if you're glazing a clutch, that's because you don't know how to drive it, or the car is too powerful. Since your car is stock, and it's a stock clutch, then you just need to learn how to drive. Take it easy on the car and learn to drive her.

There's an old saying. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast". Take heed to that, and you'll improve your driving.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Don't take it in to subaru. If it's a glazed clutch (which if it's starting to come back ... it is) then it'll just have to break back in. Unless you really glazed the hell out of it. That's the advantage of an organic clutch.

I wasn't being an ass... but if you're glazing a clutch, that's because you don't know how to drive it, or the car is too powerful. Since your car is stock, and it's a stock clutch, then you just need to learn how to drive. Take it easy on the car and learn to drive her.

There's an old saying. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast". Take heed to that, and you'll improve your driving.
    OK! thanks. Sorry on my assumption!

And I wont I took the car driving last night and it drives much better. I really have to work on my shifting tho.

I Support ClubWRX
    As said previously... look up how a clutch works. It'll help you to understand what's happening while you're shifting.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

No offense intended. Let me say it in a nicer way: Get more practice with your clutch. You should be able to start from just about anywhere without the RPM going over 1k when you get good with a clutch, even on a steep hill. That takes practice and good coordination of your feet.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading