Smoke from engine!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Smoke from engine! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've taken my car to Subaru twice in the last few months because it felt like it was losing ...

Banned

Smoke from engine!

So I've taken my car to Subaru twice in the last few months because it felt like it was losing power, and was making a funny chirping sound from the engine. Both times they checked it out and said it was fine.

Today I was driving when all of a sudden all the dash lights came on, check engine, oil, temp, etc and smoke started pouring from the engine. I lost power and my car stalled. I managed to start it again and it sluggishly made it into a parking lot. I popped the hood, checked all the fluids, everything seemed fine (at that point the smoke vanished). I let it sit for a few hours, then drove home never going over 40.

My father is under the impression that because I was low on gas (quarter of a tank) some "gunk" got in the fuel line and caused the car to have a heart attack. That makes zero sense to me, nor does it explain the smoke. And before anyone asks: no, I didn't smell the smoke, so I can't tell you if it smelled sweet or not.

I'm going to take it to Subaru yet again tomorrow and hope they aren't ****ing me around trying to get the warranty to run out before telling me what the problem is. It's past the 36K, but before the 50K powertrain warranty.

1) Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

2) If it turns out to be something that was covered under the 3 year part of the warranty and they lied about it before, can I still force them to do the work for free? If they did indeed lie to screw me out of the free repairs my next car will be an Infiniti or BMW.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The smoke could be produced by a fluid burning off, or a belt. A belt would explain the noise you heard that one time too. In the morning check again and include the power steering in your check.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The smoke could be produced by a fluid burning off, or a belt. A belt would explain the noise you heard that one time too. In the morning check again and include the power steering in your check.
    The last time I heard the chirping sound it seemed to be coming from the turbo/intercooler area, not the belts. I looked at the belts and listened very carefully since I've had belt issues in other cars. I also checked the power steering fluid along with brake fluid and everything else when I did the check.

What kind of fluid could be burning off that would also set off all the warning lights? I would think fluid burning off would do just that without the codes. And remember: I lost power in the car, and then it was sluggish after (lack of compression maybe?).

Banned
    Should I just take my car to a private mechanic? From what I've been reading about SOA, they don't cover warranties most of the time, and some of the oil changes I did, some were done by shops (all at 3,000 miles), and I'd kind of hate to go there only to have them say since I didn't do the tune-up or scheduled maintainance that they won't cover anything.

P.S. I did go for the complete check-up they had for that April special. I listed all my issues and they said my car was working in 100% shape. So that seems to point to the tune-ups they schedule every few thousand miles as a waste of money (the dealer charges like $1200 for a few of them.).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.