Burnt Exhaust Valves

This is a discussion on Burnt Exhaust Valves within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; As the subject states, my stock 2003 WRX was just diagnosed with burnt exhaust valves on the number 4 cylinder. ...

Burnt Exhaust Valves

As the subject states, my stock 2003 WRX was just diagnosed with burnt exhaust valves on the number 4 cylinder. The symptom was rough idling and a flashing CEL. Super Rupair in Boulder made the diagnosis after a compression check and confirmed with a bore scope. I have a couple of questions for the experts out their...

1. What caused this?
    2. Any experience and/or recommendations on where to get it fixed in the Boulder, CO, area? Either the Boulder or Longmont Subaru dealers, Super Rupair or others....
    3. I've considered pulling the engine myself and having the head work done at a very reputable machine shop. Don't think I'll save that much money, and I won't get the Subaru twelve month warranty.

I know I've asked a bunch of subjective questions, but I'm looking for opinions...

Happy Fourth...

Alabama Pete in Boulder

Stock 03 WRX wagon **** 136,000 miles
    78 VW Bus - 1000 miles on rebuilt engine
    Last edited by vwdiscup; 07-03-2010 at 03:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Could be just normal wear, or it could be that something was causing it to run extra hot in that cylinder. How many miles are on the engine? Exhaust valves begin to degrade in quality over time, due to the temperatures they're exposed to while open. Eventually, they no longer seat correctly and thereby no longer allow that cylinder to hold any compression.

This is not to say that there isn't a problem, because there could be, but it's not exactly an uncommon thing.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Could be just normal wear, or it could be that something was causing it to run extra hot in that cylinder. How many miles are on the engine? Exhaust valves begin to degrade in quality over time, due to the temperatures they're exposed to while open. Eventually, they no longer seat correctly and thereby no longer allow that cylinder to hold any compression.

This is not to say that there isn't a problem, because there could be, but it's not exactly an uncommon thing.
    +1 ^...Being a boosted engine also the life is usually not an easy one...

I Support ClubWRX
    I've burnt valves by cornering too hard when using a sump with only the minimum, stock baffling.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.