First Oil Change

This is a discussion on First Oil Change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; At how many KM's? I'm not sure if I should go to 5000 or do a change now that I've ...

First Oil Change

At how many KM's? I'm not sure if I should go to 5000 or do a change now that I've broken the car in...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your choice. Keep all receipts for warranty records.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
    At how many KM's? I'm not sure if I should go to 5000 or do a change now that I've broken the car in...
    follow your maintenance manual. And I second keeping all receipts even if you have the dealer do the services.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Isn't it recommended to change oil at the first 1k miles, then again every 3k miles after that?

Yes, change you're oil after the first 1k miles and then when ever it looks bad. Don't go by miles, but at least use the 3k as a threshold.

On my Hayabusa I changed the oil after 500 miles, then 1000 miles and then when ever it looks bad which is about 2,500.

I just change the oil in my WRX at 1,200 miles with full 100% synthetic by Amsoil with a K&N oil filter. What a pain in the arse to pull the plastic undercarriage protector/air deflector.

Not sure if it's just me, but running 100% synthetic by Amsoil seems to have improved my gas mileage. Seeing 24mpg versus 22mpg I saw with the OEM oil driving the same path.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Thomas Jefferson

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by gastoys View Post
    I just change the oil in my WRX at 1,200 miles with full 100% synthetic by Amsoil with a K&N oil filter.
    You pour 5 new quarts of Amsoil in the motor every 1,200 miles? You are wasting money.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It all depends on you. There are a lot of schools of thought on oil, but my opinion is with a new motor, change the oil as soon as possible. I changed mine at 500 miles, 1000 miles, then every 3,500 after that.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Okay, I'm thinking I'll take it in for the first change sometime this week. Should I use synthetic? I've heard that the first change should be non-synthetic then after that I should switch over. Any thoughts on this?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Okay, I'm thinking I'll take it in for the first change sometime this week. Should I use synthetic? I've heard that the first change should be non-synthetic then after that I should switch over. Any thoughts on this?
    Again, up to you. A lot of people subscribe to the idea that synthetic isn't even needed, but if you do use synthetic, you should wait until the motor is broken in, which I would say is about 10,000 miles. That's not exactly fully broken in, but that's when I personally would make the switch, and it's when I made the switch.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Again, up to you. A lot of people subscribe to the idea that synthetic isn't even needed, but if you do use synthetic, you should wait until the motor is broken in, which I would say is about 10,000 miles. That's not exactly fully broken in, but that's when I personally would make the switch, and it's when I made the switch.
    Okay awesome. I'm thinking just regular this time then I'll switch to synthetic next 3500k. Thanks for the help!

I went the first 10k mi on synth blend (factory spec for the wrx and at change intervals specified in the maint manual) then changed over to mobil 1 once over 10K mi.. been that way since.

doesn't use or burn a drop, engine broken in properly and runs like a top. Just had the oil changed today actually (it was due) mileage to date is 21535. Like buttah!
    Last edited by mangostick; 07-01-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I usually go 8-10K miles on a new engine before switching to synthetic. And when I did switch in my Civic SI, my gas mileage went up about 5 MPG. I have 5480 miles on my 2010 WRX now, 1st oil change at 2750 and I am doing my second one this weekend. Around 3K change interval is good for a high performance engine.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    You pour 5 new quarts of Amsoil in the motor every 1,200 miles? You are wasting money.
    +1 Looks have nothing to do with it. Send in a sample to Blackstone and save yourself a ton of $$ in the long run. At 1,200 I bet it is like new.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb