Coolant overflow tank very very full...

This is a discussion on Coolant overflow tank very very full... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So today I noticed that my over flow tank is like 5 inches above the full line..... Should I be ...

Coolant overflow tank very very full...

So today I noticed that my over flow tank is like 5 inches above the full line.....

Should I be worried about this? I know it's bad to have to much oil and tranny fluid. I thought about trying to drain some out of the radiator...but not sure if that's what I should do...

Any advice?!

Thanks!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The reservoir is not sealed, there is a hole up top on the cap. Any excess will overflow onto the ground. However, did you recently top the system off or change something?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Heh...yeah. It was low, so I thought ,and I filled it up to the full line...that was like a few weeks ago...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I noticed this because I wanted to put some of that water wetter stuff in....I guess not if its that full all ready...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    OK, that's good. If you had not done anything I'd have said to look into whether you are getting circulation or have a leak etc.

Before it overflows -- if it overflows -- take a look at the motor and see that you do not have any leaks. I say this because once it does overflow you won't be able to smell a leak as easily. Look for white residue, green goo, both, etc. Be careful when doing this and turn the motor off.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I appreciate it!

So there is really no point in draining any of it? This may sound crazy but what if I syphon some out of the overflow so I can put that water wetter in....it will eventually all circulate through the cooling system.... right?

I will be honest. The whole overflow and then having two caps really confuses me on where to put coolant in at and what all does what...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    In theory the water wetter stuff will eventually mix with the rest, yes. It may be quite a while though depending on how full the system is and what temps it sees.

You can remove the reservoir entirely, it's bolted on top and uses a prong on the bottom.

You can also let the car go stone cold and open the higher of the two caps and see what level the coolant is at under the cap. Be prepared for a mess though.

Or you can just keep the water wetter for your next full drain/replace coolant service.

Sounds like a plan. I haven't replaced the coolant since I had my car...30k miles ago. I did lose a lot when I did my turbo swap last year and I put a lot of new coolant in though.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I think I may change out my coolant. I am going to go to Subaru tomorrow and buy the long life coolant and the conditioner. The guy that works there said to mix half of it with water. So..if I do it correctly I should have two gallons of 50/50 mixed when I am done....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide