Help with pop-out tabs

This is a discussion on Help with pop-out tabs within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Haven't done much work on my '02 WRX up till now, so these pop-out tabs are a bit of a ...

Help with pop-out tabs

Haven't done much work on my '02 WRX up till now, so these pop-out tabs are a bit of a head scratcher - would appreciate simpleton instructions on removing them. I need to uncover the front O2 sensor by removing the service hole cover that's fixed in place with 4 pop-out tabs. Do the tabs come out by just prying/pulling on them, or are there retaining tabs on the other side that need to be squeezed so the pins will pull through, or ????? The plastic seems brittle enough so that I'm afraid of cracking something so I'd appreciate some simple guidance.

TIA
    Last edited by BarryG; 06-26-2010 at 11:25 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I answered you on the local forum as well, but ...

With the tabs pulled out, you should be able to remove the whole thing. The tabs expand the outer "shell" once it has gotten to the other side (you'll see when you hold one), and you should be able to pull them out.

You're probably just being too hesitant with them. Just use a set of needlenose pliers on the tab and twist/pull. If you break any of them, a replacement set is cheap (I got 10 at the Advanced Auto in Clifton Park a few years ago for $3.XX).

If you are really having difficulty, shoot me a PM and I'll help you with it if you want.
    Last edited by EJ257; 06-26-2010 at 12:00 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I carefully pry around the center circular part until it pops out...use a small flat tip screwdriver and make sure to do it nice and easy! Thats what I do...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Thanks very much guys - got it! "You're probably just being too hesitant with them" was what I needed to hear. I really had to wail on them.