High RPM Power Loss
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on High RPM Power Loss within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Recently I noticed when I am at full throttle starting at 5k rpms my power ban starts to become inconsistent. ...

High RPM Power Loss

Recently I noticed when I am at full throttle starting at 5k rpms my power ban starts to become inconsistent. It seems like the power flutters for lack of better words, im not sure if its a fuel or ECU issue.

Any suggestions?

There is no engine check light on.

I have 117k on the drive train, 60k on the new motor installed by Subaru about 2 years ago.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JTFrost View Post
    Recently I noticed when I am at full throttle starting at 5k rpms my power ban starts to become inconsistent. It seems like the power flutters for lack of better words, im not sure if its a fuel or ECU issue.

Any suggestions?

There is no engine check light on.

I have 117k on the drive train, 60k on the new motor installed by Subaru about 2 years ago.
    Mods? Are you tuned?

I have K&N Cold air intake, aftermarket flywheel, and cat back HKS exhaust

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds a bit like you misfiring. Are you caught up on your maintenance? And if so, do you have access to a tuner nearby?

I actually have never taken my car to a tuning shop. I could go to San Jose to a tuner shop and have it looked at.

I run full synthetic, change the oil every 3k miles, I do majority of the maintenance myself, but I have not done much ECU work or anything to modify the ECU according to my mods.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I meant more in line with fuel filter and spark plugs.

I asked if you were near a tuner so that they could possibly data log the car to see what you're actually experiencing.

I actually need to check and most likely replace both the spark plugs and fuel filter. Good call : )

And yes I should take it to a tuner to have the ECU checked and my data log.

Do you know much about downloading software and plugging in to check the ECU on your own laptop?

I have heard good things about it.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JTFrost View Post
    I actually need to check and most likely replace both the spark plugs and fuel filter. Good call : )

And yes I should take it to a tuner to have the ECU checked and my data log.

Do you know much about downloading software and plugging in to check the ECU on your own laptop?

I have heard good things about it.
    I think you're referring to OpenSource tuning which is the method that I use. You purchase a tactrix cable, and download free software like RomRaider and ECUFlash for tuning purposes, there are also many other programs and utility spreadsheets you can use and the community for it is just amazing.

Start with the fuel filter and spark plugs, they need to be done anyways, and if the problem persists, check into a tuning shop.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Yes I have heard of open source tuning, thanks for the recommendations.

I will replace the fuel filter and spark plugs.

As soon as I get a chance to test open source I will keep in touch as I am sure I will need more recommendations from someone with experience.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.