Subaru WRX Forum banner

hydro locked??? help

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  xxxxxxxAnub1s 
#1 ·
I have intake and exhaust on my wrx, and it rained super rank today and now my car isnt starting, and im wondering if its hydro locked. All it does when i start it once is make one click sound, and stops. it wont even try to turn over or anything.

#2 ·
Just because it rains hard doesn't mean hydro-lock. Typically that only happens when you drive through standing water.

You need to give more details... What intake do you have? (Is it basically a funnel pointed up in the air) Did you drive it through a pond? etc.

#3 ·
If you really think it's hydro-locked , take the spark plugs out and crank the engine over and see if any water comes out while cranking...

#6 ·
I'm with Bo, you're probably ****ed here.

I had a '95 Celica that installed a CAI on, shortly thereafter I sold it to a friend of mine and bought my first WRX. Said friend drove said Celica through a HUGE puddle in a parking lot and sucked up water with the CAI, hydrolocked the motor, bent a rod so it was a perfect curve, still have it hanging on the wall of shame.

#8 ·
Take out all of the spark plugs and turn the motor over, if water comes out of the spark plug holes, you know what happened.

You could probably even tell by taking off the intercooler.

#11 ·
Ya it ran perfectly fine before. Just got it going though, started up after a few tried today, but when i was driving it home some squeeling started in the engine, just for a bit till i got going again. Also, the check engine light is now on. Im just wondering if it is hydrolocked, would i have gotten it going today? or would it not go what so ever?

#16 ·
Definitely not hydrolocked, but it could still be damaged. If ANY water got inside the combustion chambers it can cause massive problems. Water doesn't compress like air does.

Get those codes pulled and we can help from there, but at this point, it's anyones guess. The loss of power when driving can be related to a lot of things, but I'm not going to rule out engine damage. I'd really look into a compression test if I were you.

#17 ·
Alright ill check into that. Also when it was running, started to make a really loud screeching noise. Did this for about 5 seconds then stopped. Only seems to be doign this when its idling. After this occured, i checked the oil and its like a brown color, kinda like cofee with cream would be u know. Cant really explain what the color is like

#20 ·
Could be, could even be a cracked block from the extreme heat change from hot to cold by running through that puddle. Either way though, the motor has to come out. What went wrong can be determined at that point.

Sorry man, ****ty situation.

#22 ·
IF it's just a head gasket, you may get away with just replacing them and they're somewhat cheap (when compared to everything else, that is) if you do them on your own. But with the sound you said it's making and the fact that your oil looks like that, I don't think the bottom end is going to come out of this unscathed....

#25 ·
I think I'd be in the same mood as him if I found out my motor was *%@*ed. At least he didn't dodge the swear filter. :rotfl:

And why do I have a sudden urge to watch The Big Lebowski?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.