Strange exhaust problem. Gets very loud at WOT then disappears

This is a discussion on Strange exhaust problem. Gets very loud at WOT then disappears within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I have a 2004 wrx wagon. My car is completely stock. My exhaust sounds normal and quiet, but when ...

Strange exhaust problem. Gets very loud at WOT then disappears

Hello, I have a 2004 wrx wagon. My car is completely stock. My exhaust sounds normal and quiet, but when I get the rpm's up to about 5000 it sounds like the exhaust "opens up" and its gets extremely loud like im running an aftermarket exhaust. It will sound like this for a few minutes and then suddenly disappear and sound normal again. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You might have an exhaust leak or blown gasket.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My money's on a blown gasket.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thanks guys, is this a DIY fix if I can find the blown gasket? If so, any place you can recommend I order a replacement gasket from?? Thanks!

I am not sure if you can do this yourself. You need to answer that question.

Reason I say that is because I don't know what year your car is or if it is all rusted out. Do you have tools, a jack and jackstands? It is not really hard but I have no clue how mechanically inclined you are. I know lots of people who should just stay away from modding/fixing their cars.

If you do decide to take this on go to Grimmspeed and pick up gaskets from them. Or go with OEM gaskets. Nothing from your local parts store if you want to do the job right.

Hope this helps. Rust will be the hardest part of this job so be forewarned.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I am not sure if you can do this yourself. You need to answer that question.

Reason I say that is because I don't know what year your car is or if it is all rusted out. Do you have tools, a jack and jackstands? It is not really hard but I have no clue how mechanically inclined you are. I know lots of people who should just stay away from modding/fixing their cars.

If you do decide to take this on go to Grimmspeed and pick up gaskets from them. Or go with OEM gaskets. Nothing from your local parts store if you want to do the job right.

Hope this helps. Rust will be the hardest part of this job so be forewarned.

Hey thanks alot man, I think I will give it a go.

PB Blaster will be your best friend if you're doing exhaust work, or anything that's rusted. Even then, you may have some trouble. I had a bolt I soaked with PB multiple times and even used an impact wrench and it refused to separate. This was on a 2002 with ~100k miles, and lived in WI for several years, FWIW.
    2002 Silver Bugeye WRX - Bugeye Mafia #327
    "Stage 2" + STI TMIC

Thanks for the heads up devik