Squeaking belts/pulley

This is a discussion on Squeaking belts/pulley within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So a few days ago i posted about my a/c belts/pulleys started to squeak when i turned them on. now ...

Squeaking belts/pulley

So a few days ago i posted about my a/c belts/pulleys started to squeak when i turned them on. now after a few days something squeaks when i rev it to 2k-3k rpms. the belts are fairly new(not OEM but good year belts though), and nothing looks to be loose. I do notice that the ac compressor tends to start then seize up then start up again, repeating this process over and over. im thinking it might be the oil in the ac compressor? havent charged it yet, so i wanted to get some opinions before spending money on it.

my oil level is good and my a/c still blows cold. all my other fluids are fine so im pretty sure it has nothing to do with the fluids. this only started to happen recently. anyone know any good mechanics around san francisco/daly city??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you sure that when you thinking it is 'seizing' up, it isn't just the clutch on the pulley engaging and disengaging? Mine is starting to make some noise too, I am going to take some WD-40 and see if that cures the sound.
    2004 Impreza Outback Sport - Sold
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold
    2006 SGM WRX - 400AWHP - Mods

My 2006 Build

you maybe right about the clutch engaging and disengaging. but i remember when i tried the ac at full blast the compressor stayed spinning and when i try it now it stops and goes so im not too sure? but i tried some wd-40 and that didnt work. im getting new belts tomorrow and maybe that'll help or maybe the mechanic might figure it out and recommend something else. i'll let you know what happens just in case this happens to you.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    you might want to check this thread:
    AC compressor problem or problem with AC coolant system!!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yeah I had read that article last night, sounds like he has a very similar problem.
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold

My 2006 Build

yeah i read that too but im hoping its not as bad lol you ever fix your problem yet? or everything is still unknown?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeDude12 View Post
    yeah i read that too but im hoping its not as bad lol you ever fix your problem yet? or everything is still unknown?
    still working on it. I'm going to try another full purge and recharge. I'll keep you posted.

Facebook me here

ok so for me it was just a loose a/c belt. i got it re-tensioned and everything seems fine now. although i do hear a very very faint squeak every now and then so im not too sure if i should be worried or not. its only noticeable if you're trying to listen for it? im just kinda worried it might get loose again after awhile and start squeaking again, suggestions? you think a recharge would help or its basically just the belt and i should eventually change that?

zax
    ok so for me it was just a loose a/c belt. i got it re-tensioned and everything seems fine now. although i do hear a very very faint squeak every now and then so im not too sure if i should be worried or not. its only noticeable if you're trying to listen for it? im just kinda worried it might get loose again after awhile and start squeaking again, suggestions? you think a recharge would help or its basically just the belt and i should eventually change that?
    if it does loosen (which it will over time), just readjust your tensioner pulley

This assumes that you have a pre-2008 WRX/STi. I understand that 2008+ Subaru moved to a different system w/o the belt tensioners

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    if it does loosen (which it will over time), just readjust your tensioner pulley

This assumes that you have a pre-2008 WRX/STi. I understand that 2008+ Subaru moved to a different system w/o the belt tensioners

Some of the 08's had them and some didnt, what I never understood was why? Subaru even had the little holes still there to mount the tensioner, now they can charge $60 for a belt and a little v wedge tool and get away with it..haha...

i have an 03 stock bug eye. so maybe i should replace the tensioner pulley? i might do a big service on it soon since i know the car hasnt had the timing belt or water pump changed, hoping that will solve all my problems. i bought the car used about 3 months ago and it has about 114k miles on it so yeah.

zax
    i have an 03 stock bug eye. so maybe i should replace the tensioner pulley? i might do a big service on it soon since i know the car hasnt had the timing belt or water pump changed, hoping that will solve all my problems. i bought the car used about 3 months ago and it has about 114k miles on it so yeah.
    you shouldn't have to replace the idler pulley assembly. The only reason I replaced mine was because that whole tensioner bracket was ****ed (see posted link). It's natural for new belts to loosen over a few months of use, so just tighten it down every once in a while.

Facebook me here

ohh good to know. my brackets are fine. not much rust or anything on it. i paid $40 to get my belts re-tensioned so i was wondering if this could be easily done at home? if so, what kind of tools do i need and what advice can you give me since im really new to these kinds of things.

zax
    Service Manual

everything you need to know ^^

To be kind, I'll mention that there are two tensioners, one for each belt. The A/C belt has an idler pulley and the power steering/alt belt uses the alternator as a belt tensioner. You'll need a 10mm socket to remove the belt guard and a 12mm socket to loosen the idler pulley and tighten the tensioner.

Cheers,

Z
    Last edited by zax; 06-25-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Facebook me here

^^That right there is a golden key, I have used it so many times and it is a lifesaver.
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold

My 2006 Build