WRX wierd grinding noise coming from rear wheels!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX wierd grinding noise coming from rear wheels! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my 03 wrx is having some wierd noises coming from the rear wheels...I recently re-placed my rear rotors and ...

WRX wierd grinding noise coming from rear wheels!

So my 03 wrx is having some wierd noises coming from the rear wheels...I recently re-placed my rear rotors and pads and I still have this funky sound going on. Also my driver side wheel is running really hot.

Does anyone have/had this problem?

I was thinking it might have something to do with the e-brake. When I pull the e-brake up it doesn't seem to catch all the way and my car stills rocks forward or backwards after applying the bake.

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks-josh

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like a blown rear diff... look it over more and give more details please...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Noise and hot tires at highway speeds could just be an alignment problem. If its at low speeds maybe more serious, bearings, rack, brakes.

Perhaps your wheel bearing has taken a dump. I just did the wheel bearings on a VW which fixed a similar problem.

You can youtube wheel bearings and they'll have videos of what bad wheel bearing sound like.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuagriffin View Post
    Also my driver side wheel is running really hot.
    This is a clear sign of Wheel Bearing failure.

Replace the wheel bearing, and you should be good to go
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 06-22-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: making the first statment more clear.

NRD
    is it rpm or speed related? i had a similar problem with my 02. everytime i would let off the gas i would get a grinding noise around my passenger rear wheel. it turned out to be the transfer of sound coming from my center diff, through the driveshaft, through the read diff, through my axle, and into my strut. it was trippy and i never could find out what it was until i took the tailshaft off of the trans. the cir clip fell out of the center diff and shreaded my transfer gears.

I Support ClubWRX
    Run the car down the road for 10 minutes at highway speeds (on an appropriate road. Stop. Get out. Feel the center of all 4 rims. If any of them are warmer in comparison to the others, you have a wheel bearing about to go. Get it replaced now...do not wait. You will regret it.

Also...careful when you are touching the rims...a bad wheel bearing can easily reach skin scorch temps very quickly. Don't ask me how I know.

If this isn't the issue, do circles and listen for change in pitch to the noise. Go left, right, and straight, listening. If it changes pitch, it could be a center or rear diff.

If this isn't the issue, check all of your retaining clips on your pads...if installed loosely or incorrectly, they or the pads could be dragging and causing the noise.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Sorry for the late reply

Thanks for all the advice. It only makes the noise when I'm turning. Seems to be more noise when I'm turning left the right.

Also I have noticed a squealing sound when I'm driving and it stops when I apply the brakes. It doesn't do it all the time just when ever it feels like it.

thanks again-josh

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.