Loud rattle and chatter noise from engine bay after hitting rev limiter. car sut down
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Loud rattle and chatter noise from engine bay after hitting rev limiter. car sut down within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i was racing some fast and the furious wanna be (and yes i won) i wasnt paying enough attention ...

Loud rattle and chatter noise from engine bay after hitting rev limiter. car sut down

So i was racing some fast and the furious wanna be (and yes i won) i wasnt paying enough attention to my tach hit my rev limiter. After i heard a loud slap/rattle noise when i got on the gas. I figured it had to do with the exhaust, thats all i can relate this noise too. Then to make a long story short i was on my way home and noticed it started losing power going up the hill once o got over it and released the gas a bit she shut down and wouldnt start back up. Im thinking i killed the motor, but i honestly have NO IDEA what it could be or mean. If this has ever happend to you let me know what it was.

04 WRX (stock-stage 1:93oct V-1)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a Pyrrhic victory, sorry.

A loose exhaust is unlikely to have led the motor to shut down.

Check the basics, including the exhaust while you are at it I suppose, but also make sure the car has no intake leaks (that you didn't pop an I/C hose, for example) and that the belts are all still there (that one didn't snap and the clanking wasn't a seized pulley etc.).

I'm hoping you won't exclude all the basic external stuff because then there's not much left but the motor.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

how many miles on it? .. my first thought was that the timing belt jumped a tooth... probably wont hurt to do a compression test to make sure.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

it has 60,000 miles on it. See i thought it was exhaust too but i didnt think it would make the car loose power after awhile then shut down right after! im hoping its not the timing belt cause that happend on a eclipse that i use to have and that was expensive...its at a shop right now. Im gonna let them figure it out since its there then ill figure out if i have the time to fix it or not

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't think of how you over-revved while on the throttle, and in any case a jumped belt is less likely on the Subaru than on the Mitsu, as the Mitsu has not only the timinb belt but also a balance shaft belt under the front cover and either one will ruin your day - the Subaru only has the timing belt, and at 60K your motor is - or should be! - "new." A seized pulley would do it but hopefully it's something simpler.

Now, you may have over-reved off throttle, as the limiter can only cut combustion, not prevent the motor from physically spinning too fast if the driveline is still engaged to it.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i feel stupid asking this but this is my first subie, let alone a turbo charged car....i have never heard of a seized pulley? what is?which one would it be? and am i looking at a huge job? did it hurt motor internals?

I Support ClubWRX
    By "pulley" I meant any of the wheels, rims, or tensioners in the front of the motor, either visible or under the front cover, that carry a belt. Sorry but I just don't know what could be wrong at this stage, so it's a waiting game.

ya i knew what u were talkin about by a pulley i just never heard of one ever seizing up...but thank you for the info. Hopefully the shop can tell me what it is on monday but ill keep yall posted with updates on this post

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.