boost solenoid woes

This is a discussion on boost solenoid woes within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The car has had low boost for a while now, it usually maxes out at around 9psi or so. This ...

boost solenoid woes

The car has had low boost for a while now, it usually maxes out at around 9psi or so. This morning I finally got around to testing the boost solenoid. So, I put the car in test mode with the 2 green connectors on the driver's side under the dash. Turn the ignition to 'on', and listen. As the fans come on and cycle through their speeds, I walk over to the boost solenoid and listen for a while. I never hear it click. Hmmmmm....OK, turn the ignition off, remove the solenoid, and hit it with power from the battery. 'Click!' Damn....I was hoping that it was the solenoid. Sure enough I can blow through it when it is connected directly to the battery. Put it back in the car and run test mode again. Still nothing.

Am I on the right track here? Should I be hearing the BCS 'click' when in test mode? Since I double checked the solenoid and it does in fact work, should I be worried about something else, like the ECU? Can I use a multimeter to check the signal from the ECU to the BCS?
    '02 WAGON - BLUE BEAST

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would use a test light as the BCS is a varried signal. It is controlled by duty cycle and if the duty cycle is "0" at idle on the ECU then you need to know when/where voltage is applied.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks donkey, I'll hook up the test light and check it out!
    '02 WAGON - BLUE BEAST

Update! I've finally gotten around to looking into this further. I think my solenoid is good, I can hear it click when I set up test leads to the battery and I checked it to make sure air could pass through. Now, when I connect the green test mode connectors and turn the iginiton to 'on' I don't get a signal through the connector. Nothing. There's power going to the yellow wire, but it can't find ground through the black wire with the white stripe.

I checked for continuity between solenoid and ecu connectors and everything seems fine there. Is there a sure fire way to test the ecu? I'm thinking it may be the problem here...unfortunately.
    '02 WAGON - BLUE BEAST

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oblonganimal View Post
    I checked for continuity between solenoid and ecu connectors and everything seems fine there. Is there a sure fire way to test the ecu? I'm thinking it may be the problem here...unfortunately.
    You would need to be able to datalog wastegate duty cycle on the car.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S