2008 sti - blown cylinder #1 - help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2008 sti - blown cylinder #1 - help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all. New to the site. \ Have an 08, 30K on the odometer. Had uppipe, down pipe, TBE, HKS ...

2008 sti - blown cylinder #1 - help

Hi all. New to the site. \ Have an 08, 30K on the odometer. Had uppipe, down pipe, TBE, HKS A/I, and a professional 94 octane tune (on 4WD dyno and computer mapped).

Blew engine (cylinder #1) and now the dealer is sending the entire engine and ECU to head office for further review prior to advising whether warranty will cover or not.

After reading all threads in past on 08 engines failing modded or not, and hoe Subaru of America has dealt with them, not feeling good about my situation.

Mine is one of the recall/ECU reflash models that had the detonation issues.

Now, the mods were all done by a pro shop with one of the only 4 wheel dynos in my neck of the woods, and they told me that prior to my tune, my engine had a knock. They smoothed it out and did a leak down test with nothing showing as being wrong.

This may be an old issue based on some of the threads on this topic, but this just happened to me and I have a feeling I am going to get jacked.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry to say, but I think your screwed. Especially since they're looking at your ECU, they know that you're not using Subaru specific ECU mapping, so they can not take responsibility for the damage since they can't prove whether or not the retune was the cause of the damage.

I'd prepare yourself to be spending quite a lot of money here for an engine replacement.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Did you at least reset your ECU to stock? Or were you running an open source tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Sorry to say, but I think your screwed. Especially since they're looking at your ECU, they know that you're not using Subaru specific ECU mapping, so they can not take responsibility for the damage since they can't prove whether or not the retune was the cause of the damage.

I'd prepare yourself to be spending quite a lot of money here for an engine replacement.
    +1^ here...If they cover it I will be pretty surprised, now if you only had an air intake or something perhaps they would be a tad lenient, Yeah though once it comes to the ECU they can review everything...

Appreciate the comments.....

ECU had been reset to stock mapping.....all aftermarket parts removed and stock replaced prior to bringing in......initially, service person said we are ordering you a new engine.....then the regional subaru dude came in and questioned things and I was told they are shipping the engine and ECU to head office for review.....

I am a realist, and I know they would only do this if they are suspicious and looking for a way out, but given the issues with 08's cylinders and rings, as well as my car being one of the recall victims early on, I wont go out without a fight....

I am just trying to get some feedback from others that have had issues and fought the dealer or Subaru themselves and were able to get warranty repair.

Do appreciate the feedback and impressed with the Subie community...very tight group.

Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    You may be okay then, I'm sure they'll be able to tell that the ECU had been reflashed or at least reset recently, but I doubt they're going to have any evidence, certainly not enough, to prove what KIND of tune or even that there WAS a tune on there. So, considering the claims they've recieved, you very well likely may get a ruling in your favor. I certainly hope you do.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    You may be okay then, I'm sure they'll be able to tell that the ECU had been reflashed or at least reset recently, but I doubt they're going to have any evidence, certainly not enough, to prove what KIND of tune or even that there WAS a tune on there. So, considering the claims they've recieved, you very well likely may get a ruling in your favor. I certainly hope you do.
    Hey what's up man?

This story kinda reminds me of this thread I read about gabedude proving that there was a factory error with the 07 STI's for premature engine faliure.
    SOA claimed that he was at fault, but his tune was safer and smoother then the OEM map... he said that there was a number of brand new stock STI's with detonation issues... and from what I remember subaru did a recall cause of it...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Hey guys....again, thanks for the feedback. I guess its really out of my control ultimately, but i wanted to see if anyone else had the same scenario. The pro shop that did my tune were super cool when I told them that my engine blew and they told me to come in and take it back to stock before bringing it in to the dealer. They did'nt even cahrge me a dime to do it. What they told me was that they have seen 08 and 09 cylinders blow with minor tunes and that the 08/09 engines are simply weaker then the previous generations. This is before I told them about the ringland issues on 08's. They do a lot of scooby work and all on their 4 wheel dyno with a pc. Another point was that the 08/09 show 180 WHP stock, and with their 94 octane pro tune, the max they can get is 215-220 WHP. On previous generations, they would get in the 250-260 WHP range. Disconcerning info for me let me tell you. They also told me that my factory reflash ECU showed engine knock....their mapping smoothed out the torque curve and got rid of knock (without changing boost levels)....So, tell me, how could my re-map be worse for my car when Subaru's own map has knock and a torque curve that is all over the map??!!

I dont know guys, I am a realist.....I know I tuned my car, and whatever happens I will deal, but F*&K, I thought I was buying a rally/race proven, high performance car, and "bolt on" mods shouldnt blow the engine.....in my view.

Will see how it goes, but if there is one good thing that has come from this engine blow is that I am really lking this site, and the people on it....the car situation is pissing me off, but this kind of brothers in arms stuff, may keep me a scooby owner.....

Keep any comments coming, and I wil owe you all a beer or two if I get this engine warrantied.

Quote Originally Posted by italstal6699 View Post
    They do a lot of scooby work and all on their 4 wheel dyno with a pc. Another point was that the 08/09 show 180 WHP stock, and with their 94 octane pro tune, the max they can get is 215-220 WHP. On previous generations, they would get in the 250-260 WHP range. .
    Are you talking about the 08 and 09 STI's I don't see how the could loose 85HP in the drivetrain... I'd figure maybe 50ish...
    just hang in there and wait till you hear back from SOA, if you switched everything back to OEM then they shouldn't have any proof that it was moded...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Hey what's up man?

This story kinda reminds me of this thread I read about gabedude proving that there was a factory error with the 07 STI's for premature engine faliure.
    SOA claimed that he was at fault, but his tune was safer and smoother then the OEM map... he said that there was a number of brand new stock STI's with detonation issues... and from what I remember subaru did a recall cause of it...
    The '07 STi was known to have a ****ty tune from the factory, and many people had issues with #4 blowing, I believe. Subaru has a remap available, but it wasn't a recall.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 06-20-2010 at 01:01 AM.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by italstal6699 View Post
    Hey guys....again, thanks for the feedback. I guess its really out of my control ultimately, but i wanted to see if anyone else had the same scenario. The pro shop that did my tune were super cool when I told them that my engine blew and they told me to come in and take it back to stock before bringing it in to the dealer. They did'nt even cahrge me a dime to do it. What they told me was that they have seen 08 and 09 cylinders blow with minor tunes and that the 08/09 engines are simply weaker then the previous generations. This is before I told them about the ringland issues on 08's. They do a lot of scooby work and all on their 4 wheel dyno with a pc. Another point was that the 08/09 show 180 WHP stock, and with their 94 octane pro tune, the max they can get is 215-220 WHP. On previous generations, they would get in the 250-260 WHP range. Disconcerning info for me let me tell you. They also told me that my factory reflash ECU showed engine knock....their mapping smoothed out the torque curve and got rid of knock (without changing boost levels)....So, tell me, how could my re-map be worse for my car when Subaru's own map has knock and a torque curve that is all over the map??!!

I dont know guys, I am a realist.....I know I tuned my car, and whatever happens I will deal, but F*&K, I thought I was buying a rally/race proven, high performance car, and "bolt on" mods shouldnt blow the engine.....in my view.

Will see how it goes, but if there is one good thing that has come from this engine blow is that I am really lking this site, and the people on it....the car situation is pissing me off, but this kind of brothers in arms stuff, may keep me a scooby owner.....

Keep any comments coming, and I wil owe you all a beer or two if I get this engine warrantied.
    190WHP from the STI? I can believe that from the WRX, but it's hard to believe it from an STI. I've been toying with the idea of buying a new STi next year, but honestly, I'm not willing to deal with the issues I've been seeing. It's sad really.

You're right about thinking you're buying a high performance car, it has a great heritage, but they've gone down in quality since '07, some would argue since '06. Honestly I think '06 was the pinnacle of the WRX, and '05 was the pinnacle of the STI.

The re-map you did probably saved you from engine damage earlier than you saw it, but there's no saving an engine that has manufactured defects like the ring lands. You can take away power to help save them, or at least smooth out your map, like you did, but eventually that defect is going to rear it's ugly head which is what happened here.

Subaru and any other company will try their hardest to get out of paying more money to fix a car. Which is why they've sent your engine AND ECU off to SOA, so they can look for anything that might even remotely have a chance to take responsibilty away from the manufacturer. It's just business, can't really blame them, but it's ****ty to say the least. I'm glad, though, that Subaru is willing to own up to it's mistakes and it's faults and do their best to fix it. That goes to it's credit more than most owners will give them.

The Subaru bond is a strong one, having been a member of many other forums and several different car clubs, the Subaru family is by far the best one. You won't find more helpful people than right here on ClubWRX.net, but all over the place, the Subaru bond holds strong and encompasses a great many different people from different backgrounds and different tastes.

I sure hope you stay with Subaru, but I can't blame you for being frustrated.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I sound like a broken record, but thanks again for the posts.....Although I appreciate the positive comments, its truly out of my hands.....what will be will be.....

The comment on the dyno is a true one (I have a copy of my runs at stock, and it is in the 180-185 WHP range). After the 94 octane map (and inclusive of my TBE, and Cold Air Intake), I got 220 WHP......I saw it with my own eyes.....

Would agree completely that the pinnacle of the STI was 05 (presonal fave for styling) and 06/07....Unfortuantely for me, I decided on a 2007 G35 6MT coupe of the STI due to the finance rateon the STI being 9.5% at the time, where the G35 was 1.9%....should of went with heart and not pocketbook (sigh). By the time I realized I hated the G35 and wanted an STI, the body stlye had cahnged to the hatch....not in love with the hatch at first, but I must say it grew on me after lowering it, mags, exhaust etc...knew nothing about the engine issues (other than that recall letter on the ECU etc.)....lesson learned on doing the pre-work and homework prior to making a $40K decision.... (apologies for the life story...)

As for the ties that bind subie owners....this has been the real eye opener for me.....back in the day I had a "show" 1991 GTI 16V....cherry red, done to the nines....loved it like child....the VW family was cool, but not the same as the Subie guys.

I will never forget driving down a popular road in my city....guys flossing their rides and acting like the "man".....I crossed paths with a WRC Blue 05 (gorgeous ride) and the as we passed each other going the opposite direction, he reaches out the window and throws a thumb up my way.....all i could think about was respect....total respect.....reminded me when two bikes cross and the hand goes up....never experienced that before....

Ok, I am babbling now....and digressing......sorry guys.

I have a couple of weeks wait now until they make a determination on my engine.....will keep you guys posted, or perhaps create a new post with their decision and reasons (told them I want everything in writing either way). In the interim, I am preapring for the worst, and talked to my pro shop on a plan for a rebuild with forged pistons, bigger turbo, etc., etc., etc. Figure it would be about 12-15K to do it right, and been told that I will be running around 350WHP....they have done two 08/09's on the upgraded/rebuilt power plants and those guys love their cars and have had no issues.....

Anub, 06Scooby, thnaks for chiming in, do relish the input.....

On a seperate note, and being relatively new to the site, when do we all get together and do regaional, national, north american rides???

What kind of dyno was it? It could be reading really low cause that's pretty much unheard of, a stock 06 WRX reads around 200WHP... the STI with 305 to the crank should be a lot higher then that...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s
    190WHP from the STI? I can believe that from the WRX, but it's hard to believe it from an STI.
    Believe it.

Here's a comparison between an '08 STi and a friends hybrid GT30R wagon:

The drop-off on the top-end is caused by an injector limitation.
    Last edited by EJ257; 06-20-2010 at 12:43 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Good lord... that defeats the whole performance purpose of buying an STI...
    I wonder how the 10's and the 11's are gonna look as far as power to the ground?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast