2008 sti - blown cylinder #1 - help - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2008 sti - blown cylinder #1 - help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; If I can figure out how to upload my stock dyno report, I can show you....they are using a 4 ...

If I can figure out how to upload my stock dyno report, I can show you....they are using a 4 wheel dyno, one of only three in my province (BC) Print out looks very similar to the one below.....read about 185-190 WHP on four runs.....its legit as (sadly) I was there.......

Shop said the 06/07's read 20-30 WHP more on a direct comparison basis.....

Even worse, 09 EVO they modded read 205 WHP bone stock.....and with the remap and 94 tune gained 45WHP on stock everything except the re-map....

Not info I want to be owning up to as an 08 owner....trust me, and as a Rixxer owner, not loving what I am hearing on the EVO.....

At the end of the day, I still love the car, and the lifestyle.....not gonna change....and the hatch is uber cool in my mind....just means more money to get it to go as fast as the previous generations........

Let's face facts, the 08-10 generation will either be considered a "blight" in the subie world (as I believe after 2011 where they will offer both the sedan and hatch, you will not see the hatch again), or a classic.....time will tell....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In case you are interested.....

After sending a 5 page letter to the president of the Subaru dealer where I purchased my car outlining all of the issues I have had with them and the info on the issues with 2008 engines, amazingly I just got a call from the GM staing that "although" it appears that I had modified my car, they have "gone to bat" for me and convinced Subaru to replace my entire engine.

Not exactly sure how much impacy my letter had, but it just seems rather fishy that the lasy conversation I had with the service department was very negative, and the outcome did not sound good, now magically I have a full warranty repair.

In any event, car will be ready Tuesday, at which time, I plan to completley rebuild the top half of the engine.....not going to take my chances with stock, going forged rods, cranks etc., bigger turbo, FMIC, new clutch etc.

Thoughts?

P.S. Thanks for all of your comments, thoughts, etc. Greatly appreciate having a sounding board.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    So you're getting a new engine for free and then you're tearing it down again? Well, at least you'll be able to recoup some of the money from the purchase of the higher end stuff by selling the brand new stock stuff. Glad it worked out for you.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Hey Anub,

Sounds deranged I know, but given I already have the up, down pipe, TBE, CAI etc., I have completely lost faith in the stock engine......the threads I have read seem to suggest that the 08's are weaker than past generations and apt to fail as well.

Even the GM said to me today that basically don't even try to modify the stock power plant as they are not built to be modified....(strange and weird comment if you ask me)

They way I look at it, going with a forged set up, putting on the upgrades (Turbo, FMIC) and and tuning it right will put me in the place I was prior to buying the car. Owning a strong, durable, upradable sports car....

I Support ClubWRX
    Not deranged at all really, just not the standard thing to see from people. Normally I see people who blow up their motors and somehow get the warranty work done go back to the same mods they had before and doing it all over again. You're doing it the right way if you ask me.

It's really wierd to see all of these issues with the new STI's and WRX's, and it's really disheartening. Subaru had such a great track record with reliability up until 2008 (with the exception of the 07 STI fiasco). I was keen on purchasing a 2011/12 STI next year, but seeing all of this happen, I'm not so sure I want to anymore.

Ugh, well, good luck with everything dude, keep us up to date on your build progress, I'd like to see how it turns out.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

HAHA...glad to hear I am not a complete physco.....

Actually, the tuner shop that helped me along suggested two things when my engine went poof...one was (if I got the warranty repair) to take off all mods and keep it completely bone stock (as they had seen other 08/09/10's blow on the stock plant) the other was to rebuild the top end and go with a stronger set up.

Given that I want to keep the car, and keep it moded (that's why I bought the darn thing), i went with the latter, more costlier option. Since they had done a rebuild on two other 08's and the owners loved them, the cars ran like a dream, and what they said made sense, I decided to go with it (even before I got confirmation of warranty repair).

What are you driving? What have you done in the way of tuning? Any suggestions on what I should do or not do?

At this point, its a forged crank, rod etc. set up, and 20G Turbo, FMIC, Heavy duty clutch, and two new gauges to monitor Fuel Air Mixture, and the other that is a 6 way monitor that checks boost, oil pressure, temp etc.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

The other comment I will make is don't give up on Subie, just understand that its not what it was and you will ahve to spend a little more and do it right when you get to modding it. I still love my car, giggle every time I drive it, get looks and props everywhere and love the culture and brotherhood....even though I have all this drama that occurred. The WRX/STI is still the king of the street in my view....

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh believe me, I'm not giving up on Subaru, just not looking to purchase a new one at the moment. I'm dissapointed with all of the issues and not willing to handle the down time at this juncture. When I have another vehicle on the road (planning on an LS1 RX7 project next year), I'll be more willing and able to handle it, but not right now. Besides, I think I'm done purchasing new cars, I don't want to be a slave to car payments and credit/debt anymore.

Make sure you go with some better pistons too, that's probably what you meant by etc... the crank you shouldn't really have any problems with though, unless you intend to build a 500+ HP monster, which a 20G just won't get you. The stock crank is VERY stout, there was a guy here in UT who had a 800+ HP STI utilizing the stock crank. Engine blew up eventually of course, but still....

I'd have some head work done while I was in there, maybe some +1 valves and new cams, depending on your goals. The 20G is a great setup for the 2.5L engine, but you could do better having forged internals. Take some time to lookup meth injection and getting your car to run on E85. You may like what you see there.

I personally have an 06 WRX, with a Stage 1 OpenSource tune by gabedude, which worked perfectly for my car, checked fuel with my LM1 wideband, timing was spot on and power was great. Have some brake work done (pads, rotors, fluid, etc.) and going to be focusing on suspension this year, and going stage 2 in the next couple of months.

Always remember that your car is only as good as your tune, and NEVER do any modifications without consulting your trusted tuner first to make sure you're not going to need to get it redone.

If ever you have any questions, my door is always open, and people here are VERY knowledgable and friendly and will be happy to help where they can. As you said, the brotherhood with Subaru's is just awesome. It really is unlike anything else I've ever known in the car world.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

As aways appreciate the comments, and glad to hear you are as sevoted as ever....love the RX7 build up project (RX7's are one of my favorite all time vehicles....had an 81 done out, my my first stick....can still smell the clutch burning if the wind is just right).

I am getting forged pistons (Wesico 90mm I believe) and hope to have 320-350 WHP when done, but more importantly a stronger, more durable engine and set up as well.

I hear you on car thing....and I am already thinking of what the next car might be in the next 2-3 years. I gotta tell ya, once you drive a WRX/STI, it is hard to imagine another vehicle(RS4,GTR, Older Skyline is all that i can imagine).

Duly noted on the advice thing as well. I have learned alot and now have the good people on this site to throw to with questions, which I did not have before my engine ordeal (a very good take away in my view). As for meth, the shop i deal with mentioned that, and did say if you are pumping serous ponies that is the way to go, but I told them I didnt want to mess with checking and filling the meth, and decided to do the most i can without having to deal with that.

Actually, come to think of it, knowing what I know now about Subie owners and guys such as yourself (who are a lot like me), that would probably be the main reason I would stay a Subie owner....its pretty sick....and something I dont want to give up...

Dude, you have been supper cool in this, and keeping this thread going...i have learned a lot....thank you. I hope that (eventually) there will be some subie rally or get together and I can thank you in person.

I Support ClubWRX
    I hear you, after you drive a WRX/STi, it really is like nothing else, and you just don't want to get away from it. It's addicting in a way that a lot of cars aren't, I don't even know why.

My friend actually has 1 FC RX7 'vert with an LS1, and they're working on an FC coupe as well. An old ass 79 SA RX7 is sitting in the backyard waiting for a 5.0 swap. :lol: They've played the turbo rotary game and just gave up. The RX7 was just made for the LSx engine. I swear it's a perfect match.

The Subaru community is a family in my eyes. I help out anyone that I can who is cool and truely looking for help and is grateful for it. There are an unbeleivable amount of punks who I have a hard time helping, but those who really do appreciate the community and the advice given to them, I love to help in any way possible. We definitely take care of our own.

I'm sure there will be a meet at some point that we will both attend, I'd be glad to meet you.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

You are hilarious.....totally hear you on the RX7 and the LSX...in my mind there are a few classics....80-92 Rabbit/Golf GTI (I had a 92 16v...show car...loved it), Early 90's RX7, Early 90's Supra, Skylines (any generation) EVO's, and STI....

I also hear you on the punks....I never thought to treat this as another Facebook or social network site....i went in with respect and will treat it as such for others that i can help.....one good deed begets another. I think this was the intent of the site to begin with.

I'll tell you, I had a GTI, and a nice one at that, and was part of a group of VW owners that did rides etc., but it was nothing like this...way more douche behaviour and way more self absorbed, pompus sh*t.....

When i drove my 08 that second day i owned it and that 2005 sti gave me the peace sign and nod, i was sold.

So, for the rides, rallies, or meets, where would a newbie find out about that sort of thing?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by italstal6699 View Post
    You are hilarious.....totally hear you on the RX7 and the LSX...in my mind there are a few classics....80-92 Rabbit/Golf GTI (I had a 92 16v...show car...loved it), Early 90's RX7, Early 90's Supra, Skylines (any generation) EVO's, and STI....

I also hear you on the punks....I never thought to treat this as another Facebook or social network site....i went in with respect and will treat it as such for others that i can help.....one good deed begets another. I think this was the intent of the site to begin with.

I'll tell you, I had a GTI, and a nice one at that, and was part of a group of VW owners that did rides etc., but it was nothing like this...way more douche behaviour and way more self absorbed, pompus sh*t.....

When i drove my 08 that second day i owned it and that 2005 sti gave me the peace sign and nod, i was sold.

So, for the rides, rallies, or meets, where would a newbie find out about that sort of thing?
    I've heard a lot of that from the VW community actually, kind of sad really. I visit other forums every once in a while to help some of my friends out wiht info and some of the behavior there is just terrible. NASIOC is usually where a lot of the meets are made, but they typically announce it on other sites like this one. Check your regional forums for meets in your area. There is a national meet every year in WA or OR I think, but I can't remember for sure, I intend to make it to next years Wicked Big Meet for sure.

You have good taste in classic imports, that's for sure, I'd agree with everything on that list.

The Subaru wave is always something I extend to fellow owners, WRX, STI, Forester, Outback, doesn't matter, it's all one big family.

I'm glad you came in here with respect, if you treat others with respect you will be respected. It's definitely a karma type thing. You help others and others will help you. That's the entire point of the site, for sure.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.