MAF sensor problem
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on MAF sensor problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I did a spark plug change on my 02 WRX, and when I reassembled everything the car would start, rev ...

MAF sensor problem

I did a spark plug change on my 02 WRX, and when I reassembled everything the car would start, rev up to 1.5k and then die. It took us forever to figure out that it was the MAF sensor, so we unplugged it and now it runs (I'm assuming it's running very rich to compensate). Of course it's throwing a couple CELs, which are...

1. Faulty MAF sensor/low input
    2. Fulty IAT / high input.

I picked up some MAF cleaner, cleaned it with no luck. I just picked up a new MAF sensor and I'm getting the same codes.

Has any one else had this problem before? Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What kind of intake do you have?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

It's a cold air intake.

Are you currently tuned for the cold air intake? If you have your stock intake throw it back on and see if that fixes the problem...that will at least rule out some options of what may be causing it...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I bought the car with the cold air, it ran perfectly fine for these first 3 months or so. I'm really hoping that's not the problem here.

The timing of when this problem occurred can't be coincidence I would think.

Hmm...you could also take the spark plugs back out and check the gaps and make sure everything there looks ok.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I guess I should have mentioned that I swapped all new plugs with the old ones before I figured out it was the MAF sensor, sorry.

With the old plugs, the car runs w/o the MAF connected, but starts and then dies with the old and the new MAF sensors connected. It's possible to keep the car running with the MAF sensors connected, but it's an extremely rough idle, and it's near impossible to keep it running. (It's to the point where you have to tap the gas to keep it running, which I feel is very bad for the motor)

Well now we are above me! Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in soon!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I hope so too.

I really don't want to take this to the dealer. :/

Thanks for your suggestions.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have to ask so sorry in advance but is the MAF oriented correctly (i.e. not installed backwards)? Are you absolutely certain that the correct coil pack connector is installed for each plug or anything else left unplugged? Is there any ground wires that got knocked about etc.? What were the sparkplug gaps?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

The MAF sensor is installed in the correct position, all of the coil packs are in the correct place, the gaps are alright on the old plugs but could be better, but on the new plugs they are much more accurate, and more consistent than the old ones. The gaps on both the old and the new are between .28" and .31"

The only wire that I can think of that has been moved around a bit is the exhaust temp wire that has a braket connected to the back cylinder coil pack, on the passenger side. I didn't think of considering this wire an issue because the when the MAF is disconnected the car runs fine, but with a CEL.

(Edit)Also I made sure to place the wire back in the correct position after re-installing the coil pack.
    Last edited by ace10414; 06-17-2010 at 10:10 AM.

those gaps seem pretty big. I just changed the plugs in my 02, yes its a PITA!!! especially the driver side haha. Any who, i used NGKs and the gaps were .040

I'm sure its not the spark plugs, the motor runs fine without the maf connected. But its runs rich.

Do you have a bov?

The stock one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.