MAF sensor problem - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on MAF sensor problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; On my piping it wont allow me to install the MAF in any other orientation. I can't remember where I ...

On my piping it wont allow me to install the MAF in any other orientation.

I can't remember where I read this, perhaps another thread in these forums or somewhere else, that the MAF needs at least 2 or 3 inches of straight piping before it can get an accurate reading. I think the reason for this has something to do with the aerodynamics inside the pipe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have the exact same problem, that was after i switched spark plugs and coilpack.

Do you have an aftermarket intake?

i dont know its aem. i cleaned the maf sensor to, still doesnt work..

Make sure the MAF sensor is orientated in the correct direction. If it's not working in it's current configuration, turn it 180 degrees, and bolt it back on again. If that doesn't work, make sure the MAF sensor has at least 2-3 inches (preferably at least 3) of straight piping so it can get an accurate read.

If you read the earlier posts in the thread I posted pictures of what worked for me.

It turns out whoever made the piping on my car was an idiot and didn't properly locate the MAF sensor hole and when I installed the piping in the correct orientation, the MAF placement was wrong, and it was also backwards.

So long story short, check your MAF orientation, and the piping. Try in every possible combination and that will probably do the trick.

Also as a side note, when cleaning the MAF be extra careful not to touch the actual sensor as it is very delicate.

will do, thank you for the help my subby friend

oh yeah, my car was super boggin before all of this happen. i gas it because i was losing hp, and for like a minute my car was just going 5-10 mph. any clue why that happen?

Im having the same problem with my MAF sensor..already took it apart and cleaned it with the MAF cleaner but it's still making the car idle pretty rough. As soon as I unplug the sensor the car runs good. Im pretty sure it's the MAF sensor that needs to be replaced. I got the p0171 code which could also mean I need to replace my o2 sensor? The last time I drove the car I noticed it was eating up gas!. What do you guys think? Also is it bad to run the car without the MAF sensor? I'd appreciate your guys' help here

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You need the MAF sensor working correctly. When you cleaned it did you just clean the bulb that is sticking out and obvious, or did you get to the little coiled wire that is way up in the tube and that is the actual MAF? that needs to be gently fogged with the cleaner, not just the bulb.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I sprayed cleaner but I will take it off and give it another shot. Does the bulb have to be a certain color or look a certain way when it's a good MAF?

I meant to say I sprayed cleaner up the tube/ at the coiled wire

I just gave it a thorough clean and still having the same problem. Could a bad MAF also be causing the car to waste tons of gas?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio87 View Post
    I just gave it a thorough clean and still having the same problem. Could a bad MAF also be causing the car to waste tons of gas?
    Or an O2 sensor. I'd work through it from the cheapest solutions first:

P0171 CEL Thread - Everything you ever wanted to know? - NASIOC
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Alright I'll do that. Thanks for the help man

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123