MAF sensor problem - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on MAF sensor problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by ace10414 The stock one. hmm well damn. When you were cleaning the MAF did you touch the ...

Quote Originally Posted by ace10414 View Post
    The stock one.
    hmm well damn. When you were cleaning the MAF did you touch the sensor? They are pretty fragile and get messed up easily.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I used the utmost care not to touch the IAT but I'm not sure if my friend did when he was handling it, which is one of the reasons I decided to go out and buy a new one. But the new one isn't working either.

I'm really hoping that the new one got messed up in the over night shipping, also the sales guy at the store I bought it from handled it pretty carelessly. I'm going to try and get the MAF. Off of my buddies sti and see if it works. *fingers crossed*

Sorry if the spelling was crap, I sent this on my phone.

Well, I took it to Subaru and I paid them $100 to diagnose my car, and they told me what I was already suspecting, the MAF is faulty. I really wish the auto part store sent me a functioning MAF to begin with. :/

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.

IT'S FIXED!

I'm short on time right now, but I will post pics and the solution I found later today.

I feel that this solution and the problems presented here could be extreamly helpful to others. I learned a very expensive lesson today, and I want to do everything I can to help others learn it for free.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    IT'S FIXED!

I'm short on time right now, but I will post pics and the solution I found later today.

I feel that this solution and the problems presented here could be extreamly helpful to others. I learned a very expensive lesson today, and I want to do everything I can to help others learn it for free.
    Please tell us all about it when you get a chance.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Alright, I'm very sorry for the extreme late reply, but I'm a full time student with a full time job living on my own so we know how that goes...

Anyways, this is the correct way to install the piping...

It's quite obvious that the piping is supposed to fit this way. It fits perfectly and when installed backwards it's crooked.

I was reading online about MAF sensors and I came across a thread stating that the MAF needs at least 3 inches of straight piping in order to function properly. After thinking over this I noticed it did not indeed have 3 inches of piping.

So that's when I installed the piping like this...

When it's installed this way, it's quite obvious that it's not supposed to be oriented like this. Whoever made the cold-air kit installed it like this to begin with and placed the MAF hole according to this orientation and this is what caused me so much trouble.

Long story short, make sure you have 3 inches of straight piping before taking your car to the dealership to get inspected...

Also on a side note the dealership just told me I needed a new MAF sensor and did not look at the piping at all.

Crazy, but sounds like that's the fix. I'm glad I'm rubbing the stock setup with a K&N filter. :-D

Ha yeah, I have also heard that plastic is a better insulator than metal any ways, and I've noticed that the engine bay on this car gets a lot hotter than other cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I have to ask so sorry in advance but is the MAF oriented correctly (i.e. not installed backwards)?
    Pretty much called it.....
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    In the picture on top, the MAF is installed backwards.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-04-2010 at 02:55 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Time to rescale your MAF or put the stock one back on.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Pretty much called it.....
    Ha yeah. I thought he was referring to how it was installed on the actual piping and not the piping itself. XD

I Support ClubWRX
    Ha yeah. I thought he was referring to how it was installed on the actual piping and not the piping itself. XD
    Doesn't matter which way the piping is. The MAF will bolt on both ways regardless.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Not on this piping it wont. After mycologist posted about the orientation I tried to install it the other way. It only fits one way.

Not on this piping it wont. After mycologist posted about the orientation I tried to install it the other way. It only fits one way.
    I had the same problem. I did a spark plug change and when installed everything back together my car would start then die right away. I foud this thread and seen the pic that you posted of the Air Intake. The MAF sensor was exactly how it was in the first picture. So I rotated the intake pipe as you did in the second picture and my car started right away. The thing is the Air Intake looks funny that way. Can't you just flip the actual MAF sensor on the Intake Pipe?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast