"Break In" Period

This is a discussion on "Break In" Period within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What is the break in period on these cars (2010 Impreza WRX Sedan) 1000 Miles! hehe i found it. Are ...

"Break In" Period

What is the break in period on these cars (2010 Impreza WRX Sedan) 1000 Miles! hehe i found it. Are they good to go from the factory?

My friend said they are but Ive been driving it at most 1/4 throttle and shifting at 4k rpms.

I did however open it up tonight to see what the car has since I hadn't yet and it performed amazingly. Going into 3rd the traction control light blinked I think a tire may have broken free after a shift but it pulled really nicely. I was very impressed with the smoothness of the vehicle.

Im going to back down on it now it only has 200 miles on it. I want it to last and I want the motor/trans to keep that fresh feeling.

Anyways I am so impressed with the car.

BTW this is my first stick and It's sooo hard to keep track of speed and RPM to shift I have found myself 2 times now hitting 5k RPM and when I opened it up tonight I came up on 6k RPM. Should I be shifting sooner or is that just fine when "on it"? and is 4k RPM a good shift point with regular driving.
    Last edited by WRXXXAction; 06-16-2010 at 11:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Read your owners manual. They have everything recommneded for break in period on your vehicle, as well as a great deal of other helpful information.

I doubt it has changed for 2010, but the break in period Subaru suggests is 1,000 miles. Vary your RPM's when able, don't go above 4k RPM's. And if it were me, I'd replace the oil at the 1,000 mark if not before.

I stuck with a 3,000 mile breakin period for my WRX, but on most newer vehicles it's not needed, I was just being safe.

There are arguments out there that newer vehicles don't even need a break in period due to the much tighter tolerances in newer engines, but it's better safe than sorry. Stick with what the manufacturer recommends.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Did I do anything wrong tonight testing the waters?

And were my shifts ok?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXXXAction View Post
    Did I do anything wrong tonight testing the waters?

And were my shifts ok?
    I wouldn't say you did anything wrong, but I wouldn't make it a habit until the breakin period is through. I did a couple runs up to 6000 RPM's in break in in second gear getting onto the freeway, didn't hurt anything, but again, I didn't do it very often at all, and waited to do any kind of spirited driving after break in.

You may be shifting a little hard considering the tire chirp, might want to slow it down considering the WRX tranny isn't exactly spectactular in the strength department.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

First time manual driver and i have only driven stick maybe 10 hours... Im trying. : )

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXXXAction View Post
    First time manual driver and i have only driven stick maybe 10 hours... Im trying. : )
    Everyone starts somewhere. Just take your time in shifting and be nice if you ever do any launches, if you intend to have your tranny last longer than a few thousand miles that is. No dropping the clutch, what-so-ever.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!